Match this kitchen unit door?

I have managed to break a panel on one of our kitchen unit doors:

anyone here who does more of these things, know if this design is still around? I think it was a 'limed oak effect' and that it may have originally come from Magnet & Southern.

Is this likely to be replaceable with a match or near match, or does one have to change the whole set of frontages to 'repair' such damage?

Much appreciate any pointers at where I might get a replacement.

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

Is that panel a bit of real wood? It looks as if it might be from the picture, as the splits seem to follow a grain and I wouldn't expect MDF or other maufactured timber to split like that. If so you may be able to glue the edges back together, be a lot easier to do if you can get the panel out of the frame to get a cramp across it. It looks to held in with the beading on the front but if you disturb the limewash in the corners it might be fun getting that back. I suspect the back is a rebate in the frame.

The shed/kitchen unit suplliers web sites are probably your best bet. Unless someone can come up with the style name and maker.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

> Does anyone here who does more of these things, know if this design is

Correction: SWMBO says it was from Wickes.

Reply to
Spamlet

Reply to
Spamlet

Found what looks like the finish... 'heavily limed oak':

warmer...

Spamlet

> Does anyone here who does more of these things, know if this design is still

Wife bought a new fitted bedroom a couple of years ago from a company called creative joinery. Forget them, but what they used to do was machine the doors out of whatever they were made of and send them to a company that shrink wrapped the laminate onto it. If you can find a similar Co. in your area, they might be able to help.

Dave

Reply to
dave

>>> Does anyone here who does more of these things, know if this design is >> still

Thanks Dave,

Since my first post, other comments have made me realise these are wood panelled in oak, but the finish looks to be some clever lacquer effect rather than a laminate per se. I've emailed a few co's and am awaiting responses (if any: I find a lot of places don't seem to respond to email all that reliably.)

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

I've used those people in the past. Highly reccommended.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ta for the tip. S

Reply to
Spamlet

If you simply cannot obtain a match, would it be possible to convert it to a glazed door? Maybe swap it around with another similar sized door.

Reply to
1501

Until you find a replacement I would attempt a fix as you have nothing to lose. With the type of grain you may be able to use a white filler in the cracks as this will look like the `white grainy` effect and then just carefully smooth it, you might be surprised as to how well you can camouflage it.

Reply to
SS

You could replace the panels with glass if you get desperate.

Reply to
dennis

I doubt you'd get a decent colour match by sending pics by email. When I was in a similar position I took a sample to several companies until I found something close enough. The colours in the pictures are often very different in real life.

Reply to
Mark

Or hang a calendar over the damage.

mark

Reply to
mark

That might be a good idea under other circumstances but, as I'm in the doghouse at the moment SWMBO wants it back the way it was :-(

Spamlet

I could bodge it SS but, at the mo it would be more than my life's worth, I'm afraid. :-( S

Reply to
Spamlet

More likely to be my skin!

Spamlet

Actually Dave, the 'heavy limed oak' shown here - in a different style - looks just right:

example has a slight green tinge as oak tends to get when the green cup fungus mycelium starts to get into it: hopefully it won't all be like that.)

Spamlet