mantelpiece brackets

I need to fix a 4ft by 8" by 2" oak mantelpiece onto a wall without any fireplace support. I can hide the uprights of any brackets beneath the plaster on the wall. But I dont want brackets visible under the mantel. So are brackets made that are flat to the wall and tubular into the horizontal. If not then flat brackets into round holes?

many thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Would be simple for an engineering shop to knock up a couple of brackets to do what you want.Flat bar on the back and round bar/tube for the horizontals. You could if the wall is solid enough also use loose bolt type rawlbolts and substitute a special bolt with a long tubular head for the the wood to slip on to. Mark.

Reply to
mark

In message , Peter wrote

Google for French Cleat

Example film for attaching a mantelpiece

Alan

There are certainly loads of shelves that have holes drilled in to the back and the bracket is a flat plate screwed to the wall with a rod facing outwards which fits in to the holes and another fitting screws up from below to secure the shelf to the brackets . If you can't get the brackets seperately then find a place that does wrought iron and ask if they'll make them for you .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

How about drilling a row of holes & using resin to fix in some steel rod/studding?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

might be fairly cheap to just go to Ikea etc buy a floating shelf kit of similar length and just use the bracket, drilling your oak to suit?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

French cleat - the way to go :)

Neil

by 2" oak mantelpiece onto a wall without any fireplace support".

I took that to mean its just a shelf like object. Apart from which the back would have to be rebated to take the thickness of the cleat material of it won't be flush.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gonna go the Medway way, Many thanks for all the replies.

Peter

Reply to
Peter