Malaysian LPG appliance

I've got a Malaysian steamboat cooker that I want to use in the UK. It consists of an LPG gas burner with a seperate cooking pot on the top.

If you're wondering what steamboat is, here's an explanation:

gas inlet for the burner is a serrated metal pipe of about 10mm external diameter. This appears to be for a rubber hose to be pushed on. I think an 8mm i.d. low pressure hose will fit nicely.

There is a small lever that adjusts the air after the injector, bunsen-burner style. I'm hoping that this will give me some leeway regarding the gas type and pressure.

Here are some pics, which should help to explain things:

I'm wondering is:

  1. propane or butane?

I won't be using this in the winter, so I guess I could use either in theory. I doubt that the burner will use enough gas to cool a butane cylinder down too much either.

Does anyone know what gas is typically used for LPG in Malaysia? Everyone there just refers to it as "LPG" which suggests that they only use one (or maybe its a mixture).

If I can use either, which would be preferrable?

  1. What pressure?

Given that the inlet looks like a simple push-fit using a rubber hose, I guess that it's going to be low pressure.

Is 37mb for propane and 28mb for butane pretty much standard across the world?

Reply to
Caecilius

You could ask at a hire shop for a propane variable regulator (Used sometimes on blowtorches and the like) and set the pressure by trial and error until you get the desired effect. As for Butane or Propane I reckon it's pretty academic given you aren't using it for heating and unlikely to produce much condensation from it or have an issue with the smell because the cooking should mask that. Although *someone* will beg to differ ;-)