Making a ping-pong table

Actually it does matter. The rebound will depend on the mass of the surface not just its nature. Just as with the collisions of elastic (as in returning to original size, not knickers) balls of differing masses. I am happy to be proved wrong but I don't think I am. An experiment could be done bouncing a ball off a piece of thin board such as hardboard, a thicker piece of mdf and something really dense like blockboard or thick ply. It's quite a few years since I built a table but I seem to remember I had to go to 12mm blockboard to get an acceptable bounce and even then it was a bit thin.

uniform bounce of about 23-centemeters (8 ¾-inches) when a

standard table tennis ball is dropped on it from a height of

30-centemeters (12-inches).

Phew! I did remember correctly!

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Might you possibly be losing sight of what the table might be being used for - a knock about for kids, not for international competition ...

Reply to
geoff

Ive played on 19mm chipboard and 12mm ply. Ply is a nicer surface.

You don't want a thin skin over a foam core or anything like it. Kills the bounce.

A bit of a frame is enough to prevent sag.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course. However suppose one of the kids gets hooked and decides to go in for competitions. He/she will have learned to play on a non-standard table and will have to change the way he/she plays.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

of the 30cm.

What if it ?

We started off with a non-standard home made table in the garage - my brother went on to be a county player

So should kids not kick a football if its not the correct size, weight and pressure?

Or maybe the pullovers are too wide apart to be proper goalposts

Do you buy the kid a Les Paul just in case he might go on to be a professional guitarist?

Apply a bit of common sense

Reply to
geoff