Mains water pressure in a new(ish) house?

What's the typical mains water pressure in a house with modern plumbing?

The reason I ask is that where the water comes in, there's what looks like a pressure regulator valve with a pressure guage on it. (I assume it's also the isolator for the water into the house as I can't find any other stopcock type valves anywhere. I'm used to older house where the isolation was done by a brass valve with a tap type handle on the top - This valve has a black cylindrical handle about

2.5 inch diameter. It does alter the pressure when turned but I haven't turned it right down to see if it's the cut-off for the house as it seems to turn for ages.

Anyway, the pressure guage reads 3 bar - Is this normal?

It's a new house (well, to me anyway - It's nearly 4 years old) and I just wanted to check.

Cheers

Cubik

Reply to
Cubik

Sounds about right to me Cubik

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Cheers - Just wanted to check

Cubik

Reply to
Cubik

Wander over to the OFWAT site, ISTR that 7bar was the minimum at the boards stopcock but I could be wrong...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. I think mine reads 4 bar. I think 1.5 bar is minimum or summat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cubik wrote on Tuesday (27/01/2004) :

That sounds about right. It is not just the static pressure which matters, but the flow as well. If you almost close the stop tap, the static pressure will be the same, but the flow would be poor.

I seem to remember they time how long it takes to fill a vessel of a certain size with the tap full on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

3 bar sounds fine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Nah! That must be a continental 1 looking like a 7. In practice most people seem to have a standing pressure of around 3 bar. I beleive that OFFWAT say there must be enough pressure to fill the loft storage tank (that's about 1 bar), some people have to put up with that. Legally I don't think you could actually get any compensation until there is not enough water to run the kitchen sink tap but I may be wrong.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

At some point it would sink so the question is irrelevant ;-).

Reply to
Ed Sirett