Mains inlet on a car.

My 'other' car sometimes doesn't get much use in the winter. Since battery float chargers are now both small, light and cheap I'm considering building one in to save the hassle of connecting it up each time needed. But what sort of mains inlet to fit? Weatherproof building site industrial types seem a bit overkill for an amp or so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err, well the car is weatherproof (I assume) so use a non-weatherproof IEC socket in the car and shut the door on the lead - the rubber seal will ensure the cable is OK. Seems an awful lot simpler and cheaper than your suggestion!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

You could then pass it off as an OB truck;-)

What about a solar panel even in the winter we still get -some- sunshine?..

Or run the charger externally and use an XLR?...

Reply to
tony sayer

What about something like these;

or a smaller URL for the same thing;

Huge

This pic shows a trick of having a line plug hidden behind a pop-out rear reflector on a VW T4 Transporter:

be possible on other vehicles with pop out accessory panels in bumpers.

Reply to
dom

It really either needs to be a type where the plug will easily pull itself out should you forget and drive off, or one where it just cannot be missed/driven off with it still plugged in. Could you not run 12v out to the car and keep the charger under cover, plugging in via a ciggy socket?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Err, or a smaller URL for the same thing;

'Micro Buccaneer' connectors on the same page which look ideal. I'll get some ordered up today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say finding somewhere to permanently mount the charger and mains inlet

*inside* the car would be the most difficult part. Under the bonnet might be easier - but in my case I'm going to fit it in the boot - beside the spare wheel under the boot floor where there's plenty room.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would get bogged down in a field even easier...;-)

Complete waste of time unless so large as to be unsightly.

Hmm. LNE connectors were never a favourite of mine and anything but weatherproof. Are they still available?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting idea but looks like (in that application) water will get where it's got no business to...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not too bothered about that as the lead will be very visible.

Far more of a hassle and ciggy lighter sockets ain't weatherproof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AND people forget the voltage drop - on a long cable insignificant at 240V - on a 12V charging system where you only have a volt or so to play with it can stop charging altogether.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Under a front seat may work, I have found this a suitable space for a CD changer.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Round blue connector under the bonnet. You _will_ be opening the bonnet to check things after the layup, won't you? There are plenty of smaller form-factor plugs suitable too, but the commonality of the big round blues (any caravan site!) would seem to outweigh any size advantage. Few under-bonnets are really that short on space. You can use them for block heaters too.

An alternative is a small XLR (suitable to voltage limits) for a trickle-charge input. These are now starting to appear with "weatherproof" covers (I've seen both IP44 and IP66) because mobility scooters use them for charge sockets. Has anyone seen a source for such sockets as loose components? (other than a Chinese scooter shop).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Use what camper vans use.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bulgin buccaneer:

CPC/Farnell/RS, etc

Reply to
Rumble

They're very good, but you do need to be particular about installation. I had an in-line plug and socket on the UV light for my pond. I had some trouble with a trip operating; I'd obviously not checked the gland tightness, and the innards were water-logged. Replaced P & S and all seems to be well. It's also worth spending a few bob on the cable support assembly.

Reply to
The Wanderer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Nah!, just the same as you use for a MIC connector!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Bob Mannix scribeth thus

Yeabut for lead acid say 13.8 volts and the current will be sod all as this is only being trickle charged?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Far too big. A camper van may need a 16 amp supply - I only need an amp or so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)