Magnetic CH sludge filters

1/6th retail cost, and with all costs & profit factored in its going to be about half retail at the factory gate.

ble them for much less.

Whether its trivial depends on the level of design tweaking. A simple can + magnet is pretty basic and would collect sludge, even if it doesnt collect it as quickly. A magnet in any form factor can attract deposits.

Certainly new boiler time isnt the ideal time to design & build something, but if someone finds a usable ready made container it would be fairly trivi al. Otherwise it sounds like a small opportunity for someone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Same story as ever... got a lot more important things to do. I'll sit back & see if anyone can think of a ready made container that's usable without mods.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sure, and I think that highlights the main issue. Its easy to get something that will do something, but getting to the level of finesse of the finished products is harder.

The various makers of the things obviously agree - first there was one, and now all the water treatment products companies are getting in on the act. What is more, they have managed to get the boiler makers to very quickly mandate their use. Once tooled up and running for manufacture they are obviously a good profit centre.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, I would concur. You could probably stuff a small rodent through the HE of a mexico and it not care much!

When I removed my old Mexico and flushed it, most of the water looked ok. However when I got to actually mains flushing individual rads in sequence, it started to look a little less spotless:

John Rumm

free in some wind turbines

Reply to
The Other Mike

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

I think you might be missing the point. Today's ultra compact and efficient heat exchangers have exceptionally small waterways and so all particulates need to be filtered out on the return before passing through the heat exchanger. If your DIY degunker doesn't collect all particulates on the first and every pass then it is worthless. Taking a couple of tries is just no good.

Fitting a branded and recognised one of the these to an old system at boiler change means I get a 6 year warranty from Worcester Bosch. Failing to fit a branded and recognised one of the these to an old system at boiler change means I have zero comeback whatsoever.

Reply to
fred

The Magnaclean Pro 2 claims to have ironed out the bugs of the first generation product. I've just supervised a new boiler install and the installer convinced me to go with one as it was their regular fit (moderate sized outfit so a reasonable installed base). It has the in-line fit and built in isolators of the TF1 so it is certainly improved in that respect.

Reply to
fred

Yup for clarification, I have not seen the new magnaclean so can't comment on that. My observation was based on the original one where you had to undo the can part to clean it.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's not logical.

Consumer law doesnt agree with you there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

why not? If the boiler is not installed according to the manufacturer's instructions, any consumer protection you might have had is nul & void.

Reply to
charles

/Same story as ever... got a lot more important things to do. I'll sit back & see if anyone can think of a ready made container that's usable without mods.

NT /q

Hahaha:-):-)

Go on then, give us an insight into the 'important' things list of 'el NuT'.....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Not as black & white as that AIUI. If you failed to level the feet on a boo kshelf and the shelves all sagged & broke, your failure to follow that inst ruction would not change the fact that it was unfit for purpose. If its a q uality brand you can still expect well north of of the statutory year guara ntee.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Might be a handy way of cleaning it out if it ever needed it ? :-)

Yeah, I've removed a couple of the rads and they have had nice black water come out of them, but it mostly seems to stay in the rads, rather than be circulating in the system.

Not sure I could ever face individually flushing out all the rads (22) on ours system though if I ever had to.

Reply to
Chris French

Another worthless response, I don't know why I bothered

Save your limited breath, I wont bother responding to your ramblings in future.

Reply to
fred

I fitted one and it certainly collects sludge. It's not just a column of magnets but also a centrifugal separator so non-magnetic sludge gets separated and collected as well.

What prompted me to install it was having to replace the HW heat exchanger in the (fairly new) boiler because it had got clogged with tiny rusty flakes from the steel radiators. No further problems since I fitted filter.

Reply to
RobertL

I think you decided against retrofitting one, but to anyone else thinking about one, the SF deal predictor says Wednesday is the day to buy (it seems a reasonable bargain, £10 cheaper than Mr Central Heating).

Reply to
Andy Burns

/ I think you decided against retrofitting one, but to anyone else thinking about one, the SF deal predictor says Wednesday is the day to buy (it seems a reasonable bargain, £10 cheaper than Mr Central Heating)/ q

Wickes have one v similar? at 86 quid currently...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK