Magnetic CH filters

Hi,

There was a post about a fernox tf1 magnetic CH filter. I knew I had a fernox filter, so I went to see what it was called and found that it is the boiler buddy. I don't think the tf1 had been invented when this was installed.

Is the tf1 much better than this? I think the tf1 has side entry so has a cyclonic action. Does that really make a difference? Is it worth upgrading?

I have taken the boiler buddy off for cleaning and there are "flakes" stuck to the magnet. I was surprised at this. How do you get the flakes off or don't you? Using a screwdriver is difficult as that gets stuck to the magnet and all it seems to do is push the iron from one magnet to the next.

I think I may need to replace the ball valves as I could not get the nuts to move and now disturbed, seem to leak. This seems to be a common criticism of the cheap no-name valves on the screfix web site. I am hoping rubber seals might be better than the fibre ones. Is it worth buying the pegler valves?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

On the TF1, you withdraw the magnet from its plastic sleeve - that lets all the stuff fall free. Does that not have a similar way of removing the magnet?

Probably...

Reply to
John Rumm

I seem to remember you recommending another brand some time ago that had a better rep for not leaking, being a bit better value that the original Magnaclean and perhaps a bit easier to install (and the service/drain) on the vertical but I've lost that thread. Was it the TF1?

Reply to
fred

Yup. I have fitted both, and much prefer the TF1.

Reply to
John Rumm

TF1 much easier to flush out the dirt from time to time - close circulation valves, remove magnet (it's external to the water circuit), and open the flush valve. Easily done in under a minute.

Reply to
dom

Excellent, thanks, hopefully I wont lose the bookmark a second time.

Reply to
fred

I've just fitted a Boilermag (Toolsatan part no 76760 22mm (28mm available too), £90) and the supplied isolation valves look much more substantial than the usual cheapy ones with a winged knob to operate them. The ring spanner supplied to remove the magnet includes a profiled scraper that gets most of the crap off the magnet. All the seals are O rings too. Even though I had every rad off and flushed with a garden hose till it ran clear - end to end and corner to corner,I still got loads of crap collecting in the filter when commissioning the new boiler. I'm impressed so far anyway.

I actually got mine via an ebay vendor who threw in a container of inhibitor for a little less money inc post.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The magnaclense 2 looks even easier to fit. I have no idea if these filters actually have any real benefits.

Reply to
dennis

From my perspective it was not the ease of fitting particularly that would influence my choice - there is not much between them really. Its the design and ease of use. The task of emptying it once fitted seems better thought out on the TF1, and the TF1 seemed to offer better non magnetic particulate collection.

Probably worth it if fitting a new HE boiler to an old system, since no matter how well you flush it, there is a chance that some crud will get left behind. Modern HEexs are easier to damage. They are not substitutes for proper flushing and subsequent water treatment though.

Reply to
John Rumm