Magnaclean question

This misses the entire point.

The magnaclean may or may not grab all or some of the sludge and other debris.

The important point is that without inhibitor, sludge continues to be produced. Where from? Deterioration of metal components such as radiators which will develop holes and begin to leak. If the water and chemical conditions are particularly aggressive, this can be in a quite short time (less than years).

So in effect, the maximum it can do is to protect the boiler and other components from being filled with sludge - the system keeps running and keeps deteriorating.

The correct way to address the whole issue is to use inhibitor plus a simple mechanical strainer to capture any particulate matter headed towards the boiler. Cost - about a quarter of the magnaclean and it prevents deterioration of the system.

Of course one could use magnaclean *and* inhibitor but that is a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

I like nice gadgets (he says listening to his iPod Video) but I wouldn't waste £80 on one of these.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pocket Pal - Drivel has one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andy Hall scribed:

To be fair to him, I don't believe he mentioned anywhere that Magnaclean was a 'substitute' for an inhibitor? I certainly wouldn't consider it was, assuming I decided on having one.

N.

Reply to
nrh

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andy Hall scribed:>

OK, now let's keep this simple. I would like someone to recommend to me something that will act as a barrier to preventing most, if not all, of this sludge stuff from reaching my boiler in damaging quantities. I already understand the need to drain down and thoroughly flush the system out first, and have already done so prior to introducing the Sentinel X-400. But I am also accutely aware that this in istelf does not ensure a sludge free system, and particles will inevitably start to circulate again, and I don't want my new secondary heat exchanger to get sludged up again, or even become reduced its efficiency in the slightest.

Fine! Thanks for mentioning this. I'm all for tried and tested stuff! Could you possibly please advise on a suitable mechanical strainer?

Kind regards Nigel

Reply to
nrh

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andy Hall scribed:

LOL

Reply to
nrh

A simple strainer will do that perfectly adequately

If you properly flush the system and maintain a good quality inhibitor thereafter, there should be nothing more than the occasional particle such as copper swarf etc.

I check and maintain my inhibitor each year. Typically the water is almost colourless to a pale yellow colour but I use the test kit to be certain of concentration.

I isolate and check the strainer and there are never more than a few grains of crud in it.

This year, three years after a complete and thorough flush, under pressure I repeated the thorough flush. There was no additional sludge, rust or discolouration.

part 7533

Put an isolating valve each side so that you can open and clean it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andy Hall scribed:

Thanks for this. Is that a 'Y' Type strainer, like the one pictured here:

so, and considering it will be installed in a vertical run to the boiler, does it need to be installed in a particular direction, similar to a one-way valve?

Kind regards Nigel

Reply to
nrh

out...

Yes, they are marked with a flow direction and should be installed on the return to the boiler preferably near the boiler.

You can install vertically or horizontally provided that the crud will naturally fall and stay in the strainer. I installed mine on a horizontal run under the boiler with the Y-branch pointing downwards. I can then isolate it with valves both sides and undo the nut with a container underneath. Inside, there is a stainless steel mesh cylinder which captures the particles and can just be rinsed under the tap. Two minute job, the whole thing.

One point to note if you have an open vented system is that there should not be any isolating valves between boiler and vent.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There is usually an arrow on the side indicating the flow direction. You want it so that the bits end up in the basket and not round the outside of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Andy Hall scribed:

Sorry. I have it on my server now:

the description you give below, I think it is the same.

Even better, I have an isolation valve where the 22mm return joins the boiler, and the strainer will be connected about a foot below that. So, I shall only need the one extra iso valve. ;-)

I have a sealed, pressurised system connected to a combi.

Many thanks for your input. Nigel

Reply to
nrh

In news:43bff67d$0$63091$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net, John Rumm scribed:

Gotcha! :)

Cheers Nigel

Reply to
nrh

BTW if you wire a neodyium (sp?) magnet to the bottom of the strainer basket, hey presto! you have a magnaclean like device!

Also if it needs emptying too often just use a much bigger strainer with a couple of reducing bushes.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

No it grabs the sludge. Boy you are slow.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Famous last words. How many are retreated every 5 years.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You clearly don't understand sludge.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just because he has hair around his mouth he thinks he can talk like c**nt. Sad isn't it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A mechanical strainer will allow the maganite to pass that cause sludge and is then baked onto your heat exchanger by the heat. Matt here talking totally and utter balls. A guessing no nothing amateur.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you laughed at that you need attention.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you clearly have not a clue what you are on about. This is sad.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A strainer will stop large solids, but if you want to eliminate sludge over the lifetime of the system use a maganclean.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel