Machining a groove in wood

An accurate groove in even an entry level router should be very doable so long as it has a fence that can run along the edge. Easiest if the cutter is the preferred width to start with, to save needing more than one offset set on the fence.

Reply to
John Rumm

he doesn't even have a saw. A handheld circular is one of the most useful saws & will do the job.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Go to Lidl, then. Although they only do special offers, not had a failure with any of their power tools. And they have a three year warranty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True - but you could likely buy three Lidl for one Makita.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've not had your luck with Lidl tools either. Like Aldi, they have to offer 3yr gtees to get people to buy them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It will do it, but its not as easy to get an accurate result. However that does not really matter in this particular case since all the OP wants is a groove for a wire.

Reply to
John Rumm

In that case a length of 5mm dowel wrapped with sandpaper is a cheaper and more laborious solution.

It's ok for people with a decent workbench and power tools that they are used to using , but buying and using a power tool, for a one-off job, where the workpiece is not properly restrained, is the sort of thing that tends to appear on 24 hours in A&E.

Reply to
Andrew

So you've had several Lidl tools which have failed? Can you say which ones and how?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well John, as you said it worked.

I'm not sure why folk were trying to overcomplicate it so much. The above was done on a test piece using a 5mm router bit and my cheapo Lidl/Aldi pillar drill.

I'd love to see an example done with a handheld circular saw of equal quality. ;-) Frankly most of the other suggestions sounded like nice ways to butcher a piece of wood to me.

Tim+

Reply to
Tim+

For cleaning up a slot already made perhaps, but for a primary machining/cutting process, no really not. If you want a hand tool solution, then a plough plane would be the way to go, but these days you may well pay more for one of those than for a basic router.

Hence why I suggested a router with a side fence - all you need some flat surface to place the work on.

A circular saw would do it, but its less intuitive - especially if you need a "stopped" grove rather than a full length one - then you get into things like holding back the guard and perhaps removing the riving knife, which I would agree are not entry level skills.

Reply to
John Rumm

You know I can't resist a challenge don't you?

Thin kerf blade in that saw, so it took 4 passes:

I used a clamp to fix the wood to the table, with the end hanging out. If I wanted a really neat job then I would have added another bit of scrap to the side to make a wider platform to rest the saw on.

Yup, but you don't always get the expected results. Sometimes perfectly good strategises have turned out to be useless, while some "that will never work" ones have actually been quite good!

Reply to
John Rumm

That's good. I wasn't convinced it'd work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr