Luton Airport fire: EV involved?

You demonstrate very well that in order to construct a scenario where a diesel vehicle is at the heart of the incident, contrived conditions must be posited!

Reply to
JNugent

My son used to have a Prius.

*Are* there any diesel/battery hybrids?
Reply to
JNugent

Considering the small proportion of vehicles which are EVs (and their relative average young age compared to the average age of normal vehicles), that 54 is a LOT.

Reply to
JNugent

A garage once failed to refit the jubilee clip on the fuel hose to the carburettor on an Austin I owned. It leaked out at least a couple of gallons on a longish trip - and still didn't catch fire. But I was lucky that I was on my own. My newborn son could have been strapped in in the rear seat of that three door car.

Reply to
JNugent

I narrowly escaped the same thing when I smelled petrol on the A1, over thirty years ago (Austin Metro).

Reply to
JNugent

A bit difficult in the one local to me - entrance to the first floor of parking is up a ramp to above a shopping centre. I doubt if a fire engine could get up the spiral ramp easily.

Reply to
alan_m

My late wife visited Boston, Mass about 1970. Everyone was swapping licence plates, for some reason.

My daughter (1 of three) bought a dodgy car from a garage about 20 years. She brought it to be tested, and rang me later.

"Dad, could you come over and pick me up. " (Dodgy brakes)

I have not complained about the car test since

Reply to
maus

"May notice a burning smell" I love it!

Someone brought an EV to my local McDonnels recently, it went on fire, burned the place, and I have to drive four miles further to get my `Chili Wrap'

Reply to
maus

They wont be able to. The truth is out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Range Rover Discovery Sport Evoque

Lithium battery under the floor on the left hand side

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fuck. That is a life changing trauma. Especially to your abiliity to spell 'McDonald's'... Can't you sue the manufacturer for emotional damage?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its soon that time of year again with the sky illuminated with different mineral salts burning with different colours. What no one seems to have noted , is the flame colour seemingly in the images of the Luton fire is the strong red of lithium or strontium, so excluding strontium, leaves lithium as a principal component of combustion

Reply to
N_Cook

my car is a "mild hybrid" but with only a larger lead acid 12V battery, I presume the Disco Very uses a 48V battery?

I don't think any power can make it from the battery to the wheels, it just recuperates under braking and uses the energy to restart the engine, in conjunction with stop/start system, which gets company car drivers a lower BIK rating.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I read several interesting comments from Americans about testing in the USA. One said that a car would pass his state's annual test if you could see through the windscreen, there was any visible tread on the tyres and the brakes were not metal to metal. Another said that all he needed to do to get his car to pass was to answer no to the question 'have you modified the car?'.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

1) The building partially collapsed but no one has yet put forward any evidence that this was caused by "extra heavy EVs" so this is a mere unsubstantiated assertion on your part. 2) Correlation does not imply causation. 3) The rest of your amusing post is mere hysteria.
Reply to
Tim Streater

When lithium batteries burn, it isn't the lithium that burns, Its the electrolyte

That doesn't affect the colouration though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Disco in question is a full EV but with a range of only about 40 miles before the engine kicks in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Has the full model designation been established yet? First we were told it was a diesel vehicle (hardly likely, but that's what was claimed) then it was a hybrid and now your 'e saying it's a full EV. It's got to have had lithium cells in there somewhere from the blaze that ensued - and the collateral damage.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It is a hybrid, in that it has a diesel engine, but Land Rover advertises is 40 mile EV range as 'enough for 90% of journeys'.

To call it a 'diesel car' was a panic stricken knee jerk reaction by people who are completely convinced by the need for Nut Zero.

The designation is PHEV I think. Plug in hybrid electric vehicle...so you can charge it at home for the school and supermarket run, and fill it with diesel for the weekend run to the in-laws.

It's a clever idea, a lot of battery weight is saved by popping in a diesel.

I wouldnt mind betting the battery was damaged by a sleeping policeman or some such

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A plug-in hybrid, then?

Reply to