Low Voltage lights intermittent

Hi all,

I have tried searching these forums but didn't see anything which was a direct help...

I have 6 Halogen lights in the kitchen configured as 2 banks of 3. These were installed by the previous owner when the kitchne was extended 7 years ago. I have not had to replace any of these since moving in 3 years ago.

Last week one of the set of 3 lights started to intermittently go off and then back on again. Last night on the advice from a friend I checked the switch and found that one of the wires was loose. I thought I had found the problem but alas the lights as still going off and on. It is always the same set of 3.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong or the sort of thing I could try to isolate the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tahir Hussein

Transformer overheating and thermal protection cutting out/in. You should find the cause of this -- if the thermal protection wears out, you might end up with a fire.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It may have been caused by the loose wire, but it is more likely that the transformer's over heat protection is cutting out and in. Check to see where the transformers are placed, and that they have adequate ventilation around them. If they are covered with loft insulation like material, then this can be a likely cause of the symptoms you have, and it may just need cleared away.

On the other hand, if this transformer has been weakened, then it is best to replace it. A transformer for this type of lighting system can be bought from your local DIY Store at very little expense, and is very simple to reconnect back on to the lighting circuits.

Make a written note or drawing of any connections before you remove the existing transformer to make it easier when transfering the wiring over to the new system.

Reply to
BigWallop

One of the reasons mains voltage downlighters are superior.

Reply to
IMM

...but the bulbs cost a lot more and don't last nearly as long.

Ben.

Reply to
ben

Sorry, can't help but I can add a 'me too' to the end of yours :)

I have a similar problem with a mains downlighter in the kitchen that flickers off and on again every now and then. It's on the same circuit as the other lights (2 more downlighters and 2 60w pendant lamps) and they don't flicker. The wiring's sound 'cos I did it meself and I've rechecked it....

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

The lamps have dropped a hell of a lot in price in recent years. £1.50 at the local dealer. Mine are still going after 5 years.

Reply to
IMM

Trasnformer is faulty

Dodgy connection

I had this - it was on a track stsyem. I took it all to pices, scartched my arse a fewe times, and put it back together idly pushing teh tracks back into the transfpormer where they had slpipped out.

It all worked fine. I took it apart and found definite signs of arcing on teh track, so that was that problem.

I have one other LV that goes off - transformer is overheating and cutting out - possibly faulty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. they just catch fire Prat!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And give out less light and are less efficient.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mr Prat!,

Source please?

Reply to
IMM

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I suspected that it might be the transformer. Now comes the tricky part. The lights are in the single storey extended kitchen area. The only access point I can see are where the lights are. How do I access the transformers and where are they likely to be. Near the lights or back towards the reast of the lighting system?

Tahir.

Reply to
Tahir Hussein

I would take one (or more) of the lights out and peer through the hole. Some transformers are long and thin, designed to be pushed through the same hole. Otherwise, at least you'll see what direction the cable goes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If the transformer is inaccessible, then it may be better to feed in mains cable and fit main downlighters. Problem solved.

Reply to
IMM

And 5 more problems created.

Normal IMM 'solution'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What a wild statement. Please expand.

Reply to
IMM

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What I thought.

Reply to
IMM

? >

I er MM........

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just want to say that I have now resolved my problem. Managed to find the transformer, which was near the first light. Once that was replaced with a new one the problem went away.

Thanks for all the help.

Tahir.

Reply to
Tahir Hussein