Low tack sealant?

It would take as much work masticking them as repairing.

It sounds like your parting bead is worn and the staff bead is in need of moving in.

Get a replacement strip of each for emergencies and remove the old ones with a paint scraper or similar blade.

You may be able to reseat the parting bead, that's the one in between the two sashes, to fit tighter to the top (outside) sash. Rub some candle grease on it and fit it tight up or replace as needed. If it is still too slack, put some self adhesive draught excluder on the top sash so it fits tightly.

The staff bead can go fairly snug up against the inner -bottom, sash again with candle wax. Fix the bead at the bottom with the sash down, then at the top with the sash up. Use 1 1/2" ovals if the old nails are stuffed.

These windows were designed to permit some draught. Draught excluder might minimise that.

(Look a bugger though.)

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I used Mait for all the plugholes in my present suite many years ago, and haven't felt the need to replace it. Could be on something that flexes slightly silicone is better. But at least excess Mait is easy to remove. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although if you change your name to it, it is generally worth a few extra percent in the merchants. Just remember to go with oldest clothes and your arse partly hanging out over the belt. :-)

Leave the gold card at home and attend with the obligatory roll of fivers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

At least NTs posts have some useful content. Stop posting c**p like this and you might find time to get a life.

Reply to
bangbangchicken

Why not put some form of tape over the cracks instead - duck tape / insulating tape / masking tape depending on colour availability and requirements, and how fussy SWMBO is?!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I don't understand what everyone's banging on about over this issue... I'm now running Mozilla, and up and till 2-3 days ago, Outlook Express, and using either of these newsreaders I have no problem viewing NT's posts, which AFAICS always appear in their proper context!

I also used to post a lot from Google like NT (although not these days) and personally have never been chastised for doing so.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That pretty much describes me most of the time. No special effort needed. ;-)

I find they don't mind the cards, but I do arrive in a Fiat Ducato van that I try to park noisily by the front door.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They're fine here too. And seem to thread ok on the rare occasion I use threading.

I just assumed it's the usual OE users blaming everyone else for their system shortcomings...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that why I always seem to end up paying less than I expected?

Reply to
Rob Morley

They have no References: header, meaning that they will break on newsreaders that use this header. (References: is the best way to thread messages, as it gives the message being responded to, so that it can be easily threaded in the right position, rather than sorting by date, or article-number, both of which can be unreliable)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I used Flora Buttery, on packing tape that had been made low-tack (dust it with talcum) Run a generous bead (neat as you can) on the other surface, close window, leave closed for 24 hours, open, remove tape.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's a job for duck/duct tape. stu

Reply to