First timer needs help with waste pipe

Hi

I didn't realise until yesterday evening that 32mm push-fit pipe isn't the same as 32mm solvent weld pipe! I've never had cause to tinker with waste pipe until now.

I basically have at home;

1 length 32mm push-fit pipe (it didn't say at the DIY shop what it was

- I assumed all 32mm pipe was the same!)

1 length 40mm push-fit pipe assorted 32mm and 40mm solvent weld elbows and couplings and of course, the solvent. I also have a couple of supposed 32-40mm (solv) converters that look a bit hat like. In fact it's one of these
have a 32mm (solv) pipe coming out of a wall (existing fitting), and I joined a 90-degree (32mm) to it with solvent, and then realised that my 32mm pipe doesn't fit!

I then realised that the diswasher trap I bought is a 40mm compression fitting - I assume compression is good here for dismantling and cleaning.

So basically, I need to be able to convert from 32mm solvent weld to

40mm compression fitting.

Can anybody adivise me on how to connect these things up?

Regards, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

Not sure if you know this or not, but compression fittings will work on solvent weld pipe and on push-fit pipe. So that's how you mix and match! So you need some 40mm solvent weld pipe to connect to your dishwasher trap, and your reducer, and some

32mm solvent weld pipe to connect to your already fitted elbow.

Someone else will probably comment on the advisability of using

32mm pipe for a dishwasher - given the fitting is 40mm, I'd be inclined to try to use 40mm pipe!

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

I'd be inclined to try and work out what lengths and what angles I need and get push fits for the lot.

The cost of buggering the job vss the cost of doing the job properly and the savings and job satifaction and all that crap, rule.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

No, I didn't know, thanks for the info. It should be quite simple then.

I know, I know, but the existing pipe (32mm) goes out through the wall, and in to our conservatory, where it runs outside - don't ask me why - previous owner stuff.....

The run inside the conservatory is already boxed in and decorated, so I don't want to have to rip it all out for this job if I can help it.

The dishwasher has already been running on this waste pipe - I just needed to change the layout slightly for a new kitchen layout, so hopefully all will be ok.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

Probably because the conservatory was added after the waste pipe and the owner didn't want to arrange a different exit for it from the kitchen.

If you are connecting onto existing pipe of unknown origin and can't replace it easily, then for that joint, a compression type fitting would be safe. I've used push fits in the past and found them to sometimes leak under these circumstances.

Then for the run from there to the new trap(s), take your pick. Personally I use solvent weld because you can make a neater and more compact job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You need a solvent weld to push fit adaptor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or the other way round. I know you've got to take more care with solvent weld, but once done it's for keeps. I've seem plenty of push fit stuff pull apart for one reason or another.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I must admit that I've stopped using push fit waste fittings at all. They have a habit of coming undone at inappropriate times, or inaccessible locations. I'm definitely one for limiting to compression or solvent weld, depending on the individual circumstances.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Especially when not supported properly along its length when it gets hot water down it. It softens enough to allow the weight of the pipe to pull everything apart.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:40:47 -0000, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

I never used them to start with for that reason.

Yep, I always use SW, unless I'm connecting onto existing pipework when I use compression.

Reply to
Lurch

Which is why I don't use it.

In the case of kitchen revamps or blockages push-fit is a good idea. :-)

Reply to
Mark

It's only a question of making sure it all fits then marking it before glueing.

You can cut solvent weld and extend.

Trouble with a lot of push fit is it's thrown together as it will sort of self align. Until nature and constant expansion and retraction has its way and it separates. I've not tried compression fittings for waste though. Perhaps that is the ideal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ive got one house and two flats I lease to the council, every three years they have a new kitchen/bathroom, plus a maintenance contract for the properties. So plumbing is on/off like a fiddlers elbow You would NOT believe what some people put down the sink and bath, with push-fit it's a simple job of pulling it apart and refitting, be it for a blockage or refit. Ive never as yet had a push-fit leak or come apart involuntary but it does need sensibly placed fixing clips. I should add that SW is the only sensible option for shower/underfloor type use, it also makes sense for a plumber or builder to use it, as it's quick cheep and guaranteed leak free. (as long as they remember to apply the glue) :-)

Reply to
Mark