'Low-key' door closer?

you can adjust the 'close' and 'latch' speeds to suit the application.

Dave - how are those adjusted? I have one and it would be useful to reduce the pressure on it. The maker's catalogue (at

't show any model with the hexagonal orifice at the ends. Thanks

Reply to
Peter Johnson

If I did that I'd also have to fit a cat flap.

Reply to
Skipweasel

There's one on a door in a church near here which appears to be contemporary with the church, which was put up by Thomas Telford in the late 1700s. It's got a little brass wheel on the end of the arm and seems to be working just fine.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Weight and string, attached as far out on the door as is practical. It has the advantage compared to a spring that the force is constant throughout the door's arc. Most spring arrangements are quite non linear.

Best of all though is a 1960s school firedoor closer - big old cast iron hydraulic job. They have damping too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

you can adjust the 'close' and 'latch' speeds to suit the application.

or

They will just slam the door closed.

I didn't realise they were as cheap as that. Might get some for this house.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

> you can adjust the 'close' and 'latch' speeds to suit the application.

> or

> They will just slam the door closed.

Has anyone seen the type that has a spring loaded roller that hits a U shaped thing on the frame? When the roller is hit it slowly pulls the door closed (poor description)

Reply to
John

They knew how to make things back then. These days you have a bit of ali channel to take the end of the steel rod without any roller or wheel, it's not long before the ali channel is very badly worn.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Skipweasel

> you can adjust the 'close' and 'latch' speeds to suit the application.

> or

> They will just slam the door closed.

Make sure you can get a good fixing on the door near the top. They take quite a lot of strain as the door is opened.

Reply to
John

This thing's quite impressive. The spring and the arm are all the same bit of metal. Blacksmith made, I guess, a long metal bar has been beaten into a thin strip for perhaps 3/4 of its length and wound up into a coil with a bit welded on first to grip it by. The remaining tail has been cut to allow for the roller. There are sufficient turns on the coil that it's not very heavily stressed, and a hefty iron channel is provided for the roller.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Any piccies?

Reply to
JW

Remember, too, that you'll get the same force on the hinges - depending on the configuration that can pull the top hinge off the door or the frame.

Reply to
docholliday

One of the clerics is on some of the same school committees as me - I'll ask her if I can pop round and do some. Don't hold your breath, though.

Reply to
Skipweasel