Low Energy Stick Bulbs

The tit Quentin Willson (ex convicted car clocker to boot) came out with another howler on Top Gear a few years back that was worthy of an entry in a Which review.

"Don't but the Metro, buy a Mini instead - they are more reliable"

At the time of this outburst of dimwittedness the Metro had been in production a few years with most of the bugs ironed out, they were produced on the same production line as the Mini , by the same assembly workers, using an identical supply chain, with many common components (at least as far as the 998) Subsequently a few years later I came to discover via an ex-manager that warranty claims per vehicle type were as near as dammit identical.

Reply to
Mike

The real world for Which subscribers is a Toyota Corolla in beige with sheepskin seat covers and a regular wash every Sunday morning. Annual mileage being around 4000 miles.

They by now of course might have moved onto the Prickus or whatever its called in a green crusade to destroy the world.

Reply to
Mike

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:06:38 +0000 someone who may be Mike wrote this:-

Excellent, personal abuse.

Arrogance and a crude word. Excellent, do keep it up.

Reply to
David Hansen

They *really* don't like being used cap upwards in a semi enclosed shade (like a glass bluebell). I paid 22 quid each for 2 of them as an experiment and they didn't last any better than any other CFL , about

15 months IIRC.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

I wholeheartedly agree.

The only downside is the price which is ridiculously high.

It's worth remembering that they are also fairly robust physically and don't mind a bit of mild vibration.

Reply to
Appin

True, so true.

ITYM the Toyota Priapic.

Reply to
Bruce

Please, none of that language. It's the Pious.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Oh, please forgive my Humble H3. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Those were tesco's own brand.

They were doing 3 for £2 for the "enclosed" types as well, GE brand.

I got some GE branded GU10 replacement CFLs which were buy one get one free for £5 - cheaper than anywhere I could find online even before the bogof!

Our kitchen and dining room used to have a total of 26 50w GU10 ceiling-mounted halogen spots! Replaced them all with the CFL type, except for a couple of 35w halogens over work surfaces and now the spinning disc in the meter no longer looks like it's about to take off just by turning on the lights!

I'm quite impressed with the GE GU10s. They're not quite as compact as the MEGAMAN branded, and don't give off such good light when first switched on, but once they've warmed up in about 30 seconds or so the light looks just the same. And an effective £2.50 each is a much better price than 8 quid for the megaman brand!

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina