low energy bulbs again - how low energy?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:33:08 +0100 someone who may be David in Normandy wrote this:-

They do in the houses I look after. Perhaps there is something with your electricity supply, or you are getting the lamps from a supermarket.

Reply to
David Hansen

How did you get out of the killfile, moron?

Reply to
Huge

I grew up on. I promise I would use them only for CFLs and not these days for the toaster, kettle, etc.

I have failed to find them by searching the net (and looking in stores in France and the USA) so ask if the expert and eagle-eyed here know where they (or similar ES adapters) are still available? Some unreconstituted country perhaps? Car boot sales??

Reply to
neverwas

That's because the use of these things is a religious matter, not a technical one. If you question religious orthodoxy, expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, I remember those - but haven't seen one for years. When I was a kid we had one in the livingroom light socket - with a bulb in the (switched, I think) straight ahead outlet and a bayonet adapter in the unswitched side outlet with a flex going across the ceiling, round the picture rail, and down to the steam radio.

I think the iron must have been powered off a similar one in the kitchen - 'cos we didn't have any power points until we got our first (one bar) electric fire, and had to have one (round pin, 15A) specially installed.

Those were the days!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Is one problem with CFLs the fact that most light comes from the sides - an incandescent bulb probably (due to the filament location)pushes most light up and down (relative to the cap)

Reply to
John

Oh well if *They* say so and *you* believe them.

*That's it then*

Or alternatively ask on uk.d-i-y .

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:10:08 GMT someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

I think that would only be a particular problem to someone trying to design one to produce a narrow beam of light. It would be difficult to design a mirror to do that. Wide beams are no problem and are also rather more useful in lighting houses.

Reply to
David Hansen

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

They do in our house too. We mark each one with the date of start of use and the source when we put them in a holder. Of course that doesn't measure the number of hours used but we've found that they do last for many years. We've been replacing our conventional lamps with them for years.

Halogens don't perform well.

Our latest experiments are with LEDS, so far we're very please but it's early days.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

An owner doesn't usually know the energy cost of manufacture.

Nobody is thrusting windmills on anyone.

We considered one and when we asked a supplier we were told honestly that our suburban situation was unsuitable. We assumed that they were being honest so I refer others to them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So the look of your rooms is more iomportant than the future of the environment and your power bills.

It's your choice.

There's no 'supposed' about it.

I wouldn't have them anywhere but it's about personal taste.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Most of the ones I've bought have lasted too long -- i.e. they have well exceeded their rated life and carried on working after I should have replaced them (which is an issue as they don't always die at end of life in the way we have come to expect of other lamps, just get dimmer). These are mostly well know major name ones, plus a load of IKEA ones I bought 7+ years ago which just go on forever.

I've had a few which have had unacceptably short lives. These have been no-name (or unheard-of-name), where I've had to search for something unusual in order to fit in a particular fitting. Otherwise, I've avoided no-name ones.

In what sense? They are only slightly better than regular filament lamps in efficiency (more so the LV ones, although they're all too commonly used in very inefficient lighting schemes).

That's amazing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The very best CFLs I have installed will at 17W just about match a 60W ordinary bulb, but are nowhere near as good as a 50W halogen.

The 11W devices are practically useless.

I reckon at best a real life gain of 3:1 on energy.

If they don't pop in the first few months, they seem to last better than bulbs, true. I have put them in a lot of places that are sub critical..outside lights mainly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My LV stuff significantly outlasts the filament bulbs. The high usage areas - corridors and kitchens - seem to last about 2 yeras. The low usage stuff (toilets bathrooms) still hasn't had a replacement in 5-6 years. Whereas the 60watt conventional bulb in the lumiere in the other bathroom has gone about once a year.

Mains halogens are as bad as candle bulbs, agreed..complete waste of space.

Theres other promising technologies around the corner..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Huge wrote: ...

Nobody expects......

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

Judging by the various responses in the thread, the information isn't to hand. But thanks anyway to all. If I ever find out, I'll post the info.

Reply to
Mike Scott

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:42:53 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard wrote this:-

I looked into the subject in some detail at the time. Nothing has been brought to my attention that implies things have changed materially since then.

I don't carry the detailed discussions round in my head. If I wanted to look them up I would start with a search engine.

Reply to
David Hansen

S'okay. I'll set 'em up ...

Reply to
Huge

I am fairly sure that yes, CFLS do save energy. The real question is how much, is it relevant, and are the disadvantages worth it?

My own personal opinion is that the answers are:-

Not very much Its not hugely relevant In many cases the disadvantages are NOT worth it.

I use the things because in many case they are adequate, and work out slightly cheaper in the long run.

However the main reason I use them is the longer bulb life. Its a pain to keep replacing bulbs. Particularly in the lanterns outside the doors.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think your question is actually answered here, but this page gives a lot of info:

estimate is about 1kWh to manufacture a GLS and over 4 kWh for a CFL! That is without taking end-of-life disposal into consideration.

It also looks as if, to get the same light output as a GLS, you really need to choose a FCL that's "one size up" than the stated size, so use a

30W to get the equivalent of a 100W incandescent. Then the poor power factor power factor of CFLs comes into it, and the power station has to generate 60W to light your 30W CFL (although you are only charged for 30W). OK, it's an overall saving of 30%, but not as much as it initially looks. You do get to have slightly cheaper bills though. :-)
Reply to
mick