Loudspeaker finish.

Have a couple of '80 speakers in teak veneer. Both the top surfaces have some marks - the sides etc are fine. I'd say the tops would sand down ok - the damage is mainly to the lacquer or whatever.

What sort of clear coat would match the original best? I'd call it a satin finish. Because the area is small perhaps aerosol?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it was a general, commercial product then I suspect they were probably sprayed with a melamine finish; if a high-end product my guess would be French polish. You can soon find out: melamine is pretty impervious to most things while French polish will soften in contact with alcohol such as methylated spirits.

The problem with teak is that it contains oils which interfere with the curing and hardening of many finishes. If your spray varnish is acrylic, you might get away with it, if cellulose then you might not. Best to spray a small sample in a hidden area and see if it cures okay. My approach with oily woods like teak is to apply a sealing coat of shellac (the basis of French polish) and then continue with the finishing coats on top. Which, in my case, may or may not be more shellac!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I've used clear dope in the past - model shop stuff.

That's best if the original was in cellulose lacquer

but 1980s some of the newer acrylics were coming in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher