Lost Battery Power

Before using rechargeable cells I check the 'dead' voltage of the primary caell. Some clocks, for instance, will run down to about 0.90V; others peg out at 1.3V.

Thanks for the warning. The NiMH I got from Aldidl are so dark and have such small printing that the "Ready to use" is the only easy way to distinguish them from equally dark primaries.

BTW, 'Made down to a pound(land)': AAs at 800mAh and AAAs at 300mAh - talk about taking the piss!

Reply to
PeterC

Aren't they capable of taking an external mains to DC power in feed?

My Sony worldband is similar lives on mains unless I am travelling. It does last pretty well on batteries too - more than a week.

And also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow.

That is a problem with things that are tetchy about min battery voltage.

You best bet is find a wall wart supply either official or unofficial. You will need to pay careful attention to polarity. Several fan sites for Grundig radios should have relevant model details.

Maplin do something like you would need.

Better prices available elsewhere if you know exactly what you want.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Agreed. As far as possible I've standardised on AA cells ( it's a factor in choosing to buy gear) and I use rechargeables for everything domestically

Sometimes I go to places where recharging rechargeables isn't an option and then I take disposable cells with me instead. I've never had a problem buying AA cells anywhere I've been.

With disposable cells, my sequence is camera, shaver, analogue radio, mp3 player. After the camera gives up, I'll get a couple of days shaving from my battery shaver then several hours radio listening and finally about five hours from my mp3. Anything left over goes into remote controls or clocks when I come home again.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yes, I had thought about wall-warts. However, the 6-cell radio lives mostly in the bathroom, and there is no socket anywhere nearby, and I'm not going to run a cable in there. Not sure about the legality, either, unless it was the DC side. Since that is the one that gives up on batteries first, it is the one that I would get a power supply for if I ever did. The other radio is used mostly by the wife, and wanders frequently among three rooms, one of which is a shower room. She does not do technology, which includes plugging and unplugging a power feed into the side of a radio, or a wall-wart into a socket, when it can run on its own batteries. There is no logic to this, but that is the way it is. They live in a different universe.

Reply to
Davey

Can't you use the batteries in the fanny hammer? they usually run until the batteries are really flat, tho if they do at the wrong moment, the moans will be of a different type :)

Reply to
Gazz

I modified the Roberts radio to take a 7 cell nicad pack from a surplus model aircraft..

since I already had a fast charger for those. its rated at 8.,4v instead on 9v but works just fine..freshly charged its a bit under 10v dead flat its 7v.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not even a shaver socket?

Take the batteries out. Problem solved. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

the internet is an alternative for all the usual stations - but I don't have the PC connected to hi-fi amplifier and speakers - I could but I prefer to listen on a wireless/tuner-amp and work on a a PC.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Truth to tell, I rarely use PC for that, but iPad is used that way quite a bit.

Reply to
polygonum

I use the tv tuner plugged into in the PC. freeview has all the radio..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No brainer. Rechargeables and a smart charger

Reply to
newshound

See comment elsewhere about rechargeables having a lower working voltage than standard cells, and radios that cut off only just above the rechargeables' operating voltage.

Reply to
Davey

No. The bathroom is in what we call the Victorian Extension to a house that is several hundred years old. It has one ceiling pull-cord light switch, and one ceiling light. And having looked up in the loft, I am not inclined to do anything up there!

Too late, she knows that they should be there!

But my point is really about wasted battery power in general, I was just using my own situation as an example.

Reply to
Davey

look its just chemistry OK? we waste energy all the time every day.

Like responding to your weird crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The solution is to buy a battery carrier and make up an external big ugly battery box using rechargeable D cells and power it from that using the DC in socket on the side. That is what I did to my transistor radio in my university bedsit days before I had mains powered hifi.

You can get 8000mAH D cells these days. One extra cell in the stack with a series silicon diode that you short out with a switch when it gets low will allow you to harvest almost all the power out of it.

And in an external box it cannot harm the delicate electronics. ISTR that a certain size of plastic waste pipe was ideal for this duty.

There is a problem that for moderate loads the low terminal voltage of rechargeables does present a problem of premature low volts cutoff. But unfortunately that is how the chemistry crumbles.

Reply to
Martin Brown

  1. Batterybox the radio sits on, with top contacts that touch radio bottom contacts. You can use an extra cell.
  2. Lead acid battery
  3. Hit your semidead batteries with spikes of current/voltage, and they'll rejuvenate. Leak risk increases, so an external battery carrier's best.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Neither you, nor anybody else who does reply, is obliged to. It's their choice.

Reply to
Davey

Indeed.

(1) would require adding external contacts to the radio, if it is ging to be wife-friendly and work as suggested. (2) is a possibility, series the cells so that there is greater voltage than the lead acid unit, and charge it up until the voltages match? Then add more, etc. (3) is a little more risky, as mentioned, but feasible.

Reply to
Davey

No, there is no BBC radio on Freeview in the evenings in Scotland - they took the space for BBC Alba that no one watches.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

or a battery charger :)

NT