Lorry overtaking ban, M11

It's not a democracy as far as laws are concerned. We pick one of a few= parties closest to our ideals, then THEY set the laws.

Most laws are nothing like common sense, so you should use your own comm= on sense to override them whenever necessary. Laws are just a guide.

Why would you run over a motorcyclist? Can't you see where you're going= ? How do you manage to drive at all? It's EASIER when there's an emerg= ency vehicle about, because everything drives slower or stops.

Probably morons like you following the law. Light says green, ambulance= has to wait.

Easily avoided by getting out of their way like any decent human being. = It's about time they fitted bull bars to ambulances to shove idiots out= of the way.

Not me, I always let them past, no exceptions.

Only if you have OCD. Most people can interpret the law sensibly under = different conditions.

Impossible, the ambulance would be taking the same path as the police ca= r. Obviously.

Look first then! Jesus Christ!

You missed a fire engine with flashing lights on it? Please go to specs= avers before you get into your car again.

They just run the red. No need to change the lights.

There should be no such thing as red lights. Roundabouts and normal giv= e way lines are just fine.

Soon to be on Ebay for =A340.

You'll be fine, because if you're the one needing the ambulance, then yo= u won't be on the road obstructing it. I ALWAYS GET OUT OF THEIR WAY IM= MEDIATELY. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? Then you say it'= s ME holding them up? Do you have any grasp of English at all?

You need to be prosecuted for causing an obstruction to an emergency veh= icle. I'd give you 2 years jail time.

-- =

Paper clips are the larval stage of coat hangers.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In article , James Wilkinson Sword writes

You said you drive on the pavement whenever you see an ambulance. You did not qualify it in any way.

Reply to
bert

In article , James Wilkinson Sword writes

Drives me up the wall. All these brainless idiots immediately slowing down when they see an emergency vehicle instead of assessing the traffic and gauging when they will meet the emergency vehicle or when it will be behind them and pulling in at the appropriate time.

Reply to
bert

What frustrates me when I've pulled over to the side of the road or into a layby is to find that each of the cars behind me sets off as soon as the ambulance has gone past each one and therefore everyone pulls ahead of me, instead of letting traffic set off roughly in the same order that it was before everyone pulled over; this leads to a sort of "first shall be last and last shall be first" reversal of order of traffic.

Reply to
NY

Don't be so pedantic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, that's not what happens. Everyone moves to the side as much as possible and stops. Or if it's a fast road, slows down.

Unless I'm stuck in a queue, I don't have to get out of the way of one behind me, as I drive at least as fast as they do. Now if everyone drove fast instead of obeying mindless speed limits, ambulances wouldn't need to get past anyone.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So what? Why do you have to stay in the same order?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Twaddle. Everyone should stop. That way the emergency driver sees a non-moving set of objects and can whizz round each. Otherwise the driver has to *hope* (and it is only a hope) that people will get out of the way so he is not constantly speeding up and slowing down, to the possible detriment of the patient.

In the US of A everyone pulls over and stops, and you get dinged if you don't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Agreed. And everyone stops here (and mounts pavements or verges).

Dinged as in "in trouble with the law" or dinged as in "your vehicle gets dented by the ambulance"? I did say they should have bullbars.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Like a lot of things it depends on situation. Stopping on a single track road if an emergency vehicle comes up behind isn't going to help its passage, So you have to make progress as swiftly as safety allows and pull out of the way as soon as you reach a spot where they can pass. And stopping just before the brow of a hill or on a blind bend where the emergency vehicle driver cannot see what may be coming isn't wise either, they will hardly be able to whizz round in those circumstances in case something is coming the other so will have to slow right down. . Again better to make progress and then pull over or stop where they can see it is safe pass safely.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

If a big ambulance can go x mph, a smaller car can easily do the same.

Indeed. But most roads have somewhere you can pull off (even if you make a mess of the grass verge).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword