Looking for structural timber strength data.

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a handbook or web resource where I can find strength data for structural timber.

I'm specifically looking for loading recommendations for posts (ie supporting the roof of a verandah)....and variances between different materials (eg Pine/Oak).

david

Reply to
Vortex

sagulator is good for horizontal timber, but not uprights.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

The trouble with the strength tables is they require a bit of experience on the part of the timber grader. Two pieces of the the same kind of wood may have very different strengths because of knots and other defects. Since you are building a verandah rather than a multistorey carpark just use a bit of common sence and err on the side of overkill. I built a verandah recently with 6 inch square oak posts. Plenty of overkill there but green oak only cost =A315 per cubic foot and big post look nice. I expect posts of a quarter the crossectional area (3 x 3 inch) would have been more than adequate. Pine is more likely to rot at the bottom end than oak. Larch, Douglas fir and cedar are the more durable softwoods.

Reply to
biff

Just do a Google search for "joist span tables" or just "span tables" wood. There's quite a few, mainly American based. Here's one URL below...

100 Proof News -
30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

I think these sites provide that type of info'

BigWallop

Loads of info on all sorts of materials here:

demo version of superbeam will do what you want as well (even though you need the full version to print results etc) - this is the applications used by many architects etc for doing structural calcs. It is pre loaded with a good selection of common constructional timber data:

nice bit of software, although you still need the basic background information to get sensible results out of it.

(not a fan of the sagulator mentioned elsewhere since it seems to give answers that are significantly out!)

Reply to
John Rumm