Looking for meaning of "Strahl- und Schnarrprüfung"

I'm further down my translation of the OM312 engine manual and I'm a bit stuck on a section heading: "Strahl- und Schnarrprüfung".

Google translate gives "Ray and snarling test", which is quite fun but not particularly useful!

It's the section on testing the injectors and I think it's something like "Rattle (or noise) and Spray testing" but a more accurate translation would be very welcome if anyone here has good German and knows about diesel engines.`

Reply to
Chris Green

My German is extremely rusty, but it never included diesel engine terminology. If you get no help here, I know some native speakers of the language who could possibly help.

Reply to
S Viemeister

When applied to water, strahl means jet or spout. Schnarr can mean vibration as well as rattle.

Reply to
nightjar

Pretty accurate: "Spray pattern testing", for one. And "Schnarren" ist the rattling, buzzing, grunting noise an an injector may/must (or may not, must not etc.) make when fuel sprays through it.

(Issat you with the runaway diesel in France?)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

There's even a youtube video of that: "Einspritzdüsen schnarren" which translates to "Correctly adjusted diesel injectors making a sound like tightening a rusty bolt while stepping on a duck".

Some German words are complex, mind you.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yes, I think that's it, looking at the contents of the section it has pictures of the expected spray patterns and descriptions of the expected noises. So it's "Spray pattern and noise testing", thank you.

Yes, that's me.

I've found there's a section in the manual about lubricating the governor/regulator, apart from anything else it tells me where it is so I can find it!

Reply to
Chris Green

:-)

My manual is much more polite:-

"After a few strokes, the nozzle must make a high pitched sound."

and

"The nozzle must purr with a soft, deep sound.

Reply to
Chris Green

The one site* said if it doesn't make an "even" sound, the guide is worn and the injector is bad. Also, to only touch the jet at the pin at the end, because of the "danger of corrosion" (in red!). Cleaning a sticking injector needle (3) is to be done with clean diesel only. And they adjust the injector pressure with shims. These are injectors from old tractor engines... doubt modern ones are as serviceable.

There's also a warning to keep your hands very well away from the injectors during testing, as they could inject diesel under your skin. This will be true for modern injectors -- if anything they'll run at a higher pressure...

Thomas Prufer

Thomas Prufer

Low tens of thousands of PSI for modern diesels I think

Reply to
Andy Burns

These were set to 125 bar which is 1800 psi, for a tractor diesel from the late

50's.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer