The REAL meaning of the Haynes instructions

I disagree with the: "Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal" definition. It should be: "We have no idea how this goes together, so you are on your own".

Reply to
Davey

How true! And those 'spanner ratings' *are* a bad joke.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Warning: don't try and read this and drink tea at the same time.

DAMHIKT

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I can well recall when I could see I decided to do some work on a video recorder made by Philips. Got the manual and it had a wonderful exploded (no not blown up) view and step by step instructions to dismantle the bits, what needed new bits what needed lubrication and other bits that might need a clean etc. Fine. However having done all that and had the kit of bits to replace, helpfully bundled together in a bag from supplier, the instructions for putting it together simply said. assemble in reverse order. Does this mean I should have ended up with an upside down vcr? anyway, it was not always correct to do as suggested, as in some cases bits relied on other bits being there to be held in the right place, so really it was a bit of a mensa test. Whoever writes these things seems to have never actually tried to do the job. as it happened in this case, it was relatively easy once you knew what was supposed to happen when the thing worked, but, I just do not know how some people I know would have coped, as they cannot even get the blades in a lawn mower the right way around....

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I once tried (unnecessarily) to set the ignition timing on the Bluebird using the manual and made a 100 percent c*ck up. As I'm old and getting done we now use a garage. I Goggled changing the spark plugs on a Nissan Micra.

This used to be so very easy!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Time and again, I find such writing. The writer clearly knows his subject inside out, that's why he's writing the manual, but for anybody who doesn't, it is indecipherable. I have seen many industrial equipment manuals like this in my working life. I also hate things such as cars where it is clear that nobody in charge ever used them before production. The US Ford Fairmont was one of the first American cars to try steering column stalks instead of the traditional knobs for wipers and lights, but the wiper stalk was beyond the gear selector (auto box) and shorter, so actuating it required the skills of a contortionist.

And the Fairmont had a transmission vibration that peaked at 55 mph, when there was still a national speed limit of 55 mph, imposed to save fuel. (Actually, it wasn't a National Speed Limit, the Federal Government said they would stop funding for any State did not impose it, so it was effectively the same thing). Michigan had an offence called 'Energy Speed', which was its name for excess speed on a road that would otherwise have had a much higher limit, and it resulted in a much lower fine (for which I am grateful!).

Reply to
Davey