Look up, stay alive, ladder incident

In article , Bill writes

In fact that is a serious problem and is a constant reminder on charts of where power cables are buried. Thats why they often have some concrete type cover above them or copious amounts of yellow marker tape......

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

the problem here would have been that they would have needed markers near the top of the trench not just above the cable. So that it would have been spotted when they re-landscaped the site. As it was concrete covers would have had to have been very solid as these tent erectors don't tend to let small things like that get in their way when they are knocking the stakes in. Better mapping of the site would have helped.

Reply to
Bill

Use of a CAT inconjunction with cable records would have helped warn them

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

How well do deep underground cables show up with good modern detectors (the type designed for ground penetration)?

My experience with 60cm underground domestic (metal) waterpipes was not that good (problem finally solved with pressure pulse type gear) - but I would expect live electrical cables to show up rather better - unless the screening is very effective or (as in my case) the ground was full of small iron scrap masking any hope of finding a water pipe.

Reply to
dom

Significant underground heave and sinkage can happen over quite a short time, especially if the depth of overburden has been changed (as was the case above) or if the land is ploughed.

A farmer friend had this problem with an abandoned cable under his field, running from a former airfield to the site of the runway approach beacon. The cable would catch on the plough in places that had been OK the year before, and some sections could even break surface over-winter. But when they tried to rip it all out (with a glint in the eye at the prospect of all that scrap copper) they found that other sections had dived far deeper than they could dig.

Reply to
Ian White

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve Walker" saying something like:

A Darwin Trap. Good for the species.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Might be cheap and effective to run a pair of extra unused cables either side and below the live ones, so ladders or rods being carried don't hit the live ones first.

The extra cables could even be connected to a electric fence type supply, for that extra strong hint ;)

Depends on the stats whether they were being carried or raised/lowered at the time, I'd expect the great majority are the former.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Well I reckon that must rank among the most shitty comment here for quite some time.

Ever given a thought for the poor relatives left behind eh?, wives, children etc?.

Simple mistake.. but someone paid very dearly for it:(....

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Something a touch erroneous here. I have roughly a mile of 11kv overhead that earns me the princely sum of 200ukp. annually.

Rates vary depending on crop type, number of stays, location and ground area. It may be that your farmer was referring to a *one off* perpetuity payment, but he has already spent that:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Must be tall children where you live. More seriously though how high would cables have to be to avoid risks that children might unwittingly be at Danger.Above a reasonable height it may not make much difference. Remember the old public safety films about Kite flying near power lines. You would need to have very high cabling to avoid that danger. Burying the cables may be the ideal but most people want electricity as cheap as possible and underground cable is expensive. It may be my imagination that though some companies have had a rolling program of raising their cables a yard or so over the past few years to accommodate the increased size of agricultural machinery, the ancillary equipment such as Transformers and pole mounted fuses has got lower. Probably just looks that way. However one I pass regularly may well be at a few yards from the pole base down in the hedge but in the horizontal plane from the raised road formation it looks quite close. G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

We used to climb the pylon at the end of our road. We stopped when our hair stood on end. No-one went any nearer. (66kv - now undergrounded).

Reply to
<me9

They might well be relieved, collect the life insurance and live happily ever after.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He lost about 1/2 a mile and 100 quid...it so happened that IIRC there was one - perhaps two - poles IN that field, and one bang on the edge of my property, but actually in his. And I think one more pole in the field the other side..so the numbers are similar. I asked him what he lost and he said 'about a hundred quid'

No annual, but it was as I say about half a mile that got undergrounded.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've flown a kite on the far end of 500 meters of line.

Those of you who attended the first isle of Wight festival would have seen it - it stayed up for several days..never had any trouble finding our tent...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you were the only one there who wasn't as high as a kite?

Reply to
Matt

nightjar

More likely everyone will be tagged and monitored for exact position, vertical, horizontal, up a ladder, driving a car, visiting the loo, fixing a boiler, replacing a window, rewiring a kitchen.

Anyone found doing unsafe manoveres will be detected and fined.....

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer saying something like:

Why, thank you.

And f*ck you too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No one was as high as MY kite..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I've still got my 6' span single line Jalbert parafoil I made in the early eighties. That broke some 200lb line once. Used to use it to hoist the club banner at youth camps.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

And I'll treat that remark with the same contempt as the other.......

Reply to
tony sayer