Logging domestic power consumption?

Domoticz produces web pages which can be accessed via web browser. Examples of the logs can be seen on page 19 of the Domoticz user manual:

The Domoticz installation instructions can be found at:

My setup is R PI is connected to LAN via ethernet (Wifi is also possible with R PI 3).

I can access the the Pi/Domoticz when away from home via a VPN. Alternatives are to put the PI on a DMZ so the PI is directly accessible from the internet or open port 8080 on the router and forward this to the PI.

Re 433 MHz I/O: An ready built but more costly alternative to RF Link is RFXCOM.

All that is usually needed is to plug the the RFXCOM into an R PI USB port and select it as hardware in Domoticz.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Or change the port to something odd that won't be being scanned for as an open port and forward that.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for those.

Ok.

Neat. Happy with all that sort of thing and have had my Arduino with an Ethernet shield switching an output and reading a switch status from my phone, over the Net. ;-)

Ouch. So, could you point me to the cheapest RF Link kit that would work with a Pi(3) please (if such are available)? I've Googled about but can't filter the generic 433 Transceivers from the Nemcon Pi compatible gateway board (if I'm getting it correctly)?

I can see that is probably much easier / flexible but probably a bit more money that I would prefer to spend on this sort of project right now.

Domoticz looks quite interesting in general (outside power monitoring) as being an 'electronics / hardware guy' I am entertained by getting electronics / hardware to do something tangible. ;-)

So I get it now (and I've since looked for a picture / diagram of a typical Domoticz installation), and see it is software that can run on various platforms and is easily (that's the key bit) be interfaced with various hardware devices to create a flexible control / monitor centre.

I think I'll first try it on my Acer netbook as that will give me the basics quickly and easily and if I like it, I can put it on my Pi3 as it's now spare as I have my Dymo LabelWriter printserver running on my Pi1 with a USB WiFi dongle (assuming most of the hardware will run on most platforms etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

SNIP

An RF Link kit is available here:

SNIP .

Yep Domoticz will work on Windows etc but will not log data unless the host PC is running. Hence a PI is ideal as easy to leave running all the time.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Yes, I saw that but suggests it's for the Arduino Mega (that I happen to also have as we use them on the 3D printer) but I thought this was for the Pi?

It does and at least gave me a quick way to see what it is all about. I did try to add AccuWeather on it but not sure if I can without requesting stuff (API's?) or knowing more about it etc. I would just like to see something doing something. Do you have any thermometers on your system Richard or what would be a cheap but useful (and easy) device to add to see something working please?

Understood. If I were to run it on Windows I have a couple of MSI Atom powered Netbooks doing nothing ...

Understood ... I'm currently plodding my way though installing it on my Pi3, well, I will, when 'sudo apt-get upgrade' finishes. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I noticed it could collect the Call Log information from a FritzBox and as I have a FritzBox Fon Wan voip router I thought I'd give it a try. Initially the Domoticz log showed 'Can not connect ...' and then I enabled the feature via the telephone handset connected to the router and then it seemed to connect but hung for ages then eventually timed out. At least it was trying. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

I have Domoticz running on a PI with a second hand RFXCOM Tx/Rx I sourced from ebay.

My understanding is that for RF Link you need the Arduino Mega (supplied as part of the kit) to run the RF Link SW to encode / decode the many different 433 MHz protocols and provide the USB interface

Then the RF Link PCB provides the antenna connection and wiring interface between the different options for the 433 MHz Tx/Rx modules and the Arudino.

The Arduino then connects to the PI/PC/NAS etc, running Domoticz, via USB.

All my devices are via the RFXCOM, An external Lidl temp & humidity sensor, an Orgeon scientific Temp senose, the OWL CM119 etc

I also obtained a free weather underground API by following this guide:

and can log & view some locally situated weather stations data. The guide is not perfect / a bit out of date but I muddled through...

A cheap an simple sensor would be a BMP180 pressure sensor which can be hard-wired to the PI.

Avoid the newer BMP280 as it is reported not to work with Domotciz.

SNIP

Fair enough :-)

:-)

I have barely scratched the surface of what Domoticz can do. I plan to write a script to control the CH & HW etc I have the RF switches just need to get round to it!

Others have also created their own 433 MHz sensors using an Arudino nano to interface with the sensor and format the X10 RF data protocol and feed it into one of the cheap chin ease 433 MHz OOK transmitters.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Ok.

Ah, yes, I did get there in the end by myself. The Mega and TX and RX modules is a more d-i-y alternative for the likes of the RFXCOM unit.

And I'm interested to hear you say 'protocolS' as talking elsewhere (RPi n/g) it seemed that there wasn't come 'standard' protocol (or even variant of the 433 Mhz frequency) so we weren't sure if you would need multiple 'transceivers' to handle more than one.

Understood. I mistakenly thought the use of an Arduino was instead of a RPi, not that the Arduino was used as an addon to the Pi. Again, till you see the 'bigger picture' it can all be very confusing. ;-(

Check. So the Pi/PC/NAS are the USB hosts and the Arduino the USB device.

So (trying to understand what people do with this stuff better), would I be right in thinking the Lidl sensor would have come with an indoor display and you don't use that now (just using the Domoticz dashboard)? And / or can you use the supplied display as well or is there a two way conversation between the host and device (so it might not be happy talking to two hosts). Or maybe some of the remote sensors are simplex and others (half) duplex?

Ok, thanks, I'll check that out.

All, all the traps and holes etc ... ;-(

It does seem pretty powerful. OOI, have you researched any of the other solutions Richard and then settled on Domoticz or was that the first one you really tried? The good news is if there are free and run on the same hardware there isn't any real host hardware commitment if you do change software later on.

Cool!

And that's the thing isn't it ... and why I was *considering* commercial solutions that may have done *just* what I was looking for but then wouldn't have done all I might later have wanted / liked to do.

(I have use the Nanos and have a few here doing nothing). I remember X10 from a while back and am still not sure if there is anything I would want to control that way that isn't already working fine (thermostats and timers on electric radiators etc)? However, if being able to (also) support X10 means I have access to another range of devices then it make sense. ;-)

Is there a good n/g or forum for this sort of thing please Richard as I don't like to keep pestering you?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. We went round my Mums last night and I worked on a Pi OMV server for my friend. We did have it working at his but we weren't able to browse to the file share from the Windows machine but the Linux PC saw the shares ok. So I guessed it might be a Samba issue but in spite of trying all sorts of things we couldn't seem to fix it. A similar setup is working here pretty well (and advertising itself to the Windows machines) but I don't know what I did different. Unfortunately, mates Pi was a 1 and so everything took ages. ;-(

Reply to
T i m

SNIP

Check out the "supported devices list" and the "protocol reference" links on the RF Link website

Only one RFXCOM receiver is required which can handle the different protocols I believe the same is true for RF Link.

SNIP

The Lidl display is operating simultaneously with Domoticz. The 433 MHz RF kit appears to be one way "fire & forget" no handshaking etc. If a transmission is lost then it is lost. Whilst this is OK for monitoring outside temps, it is not so good for control. I see the commercial RF thermostats send the control message periodically every few minutes and not only when the state changes. SNIP

Domoticz was the first one I found and tried. It seems to more that I need and is free!

SNIP

Chcekout the Domoticz forums. I find it easier to use Google to search for Domoticz and whatever I want it do. It usually throws a forum link or two up.

Windows networking ? shiver :-(

Reply to
Richard

So can I now, Domoticz is actually doing something! I often find a gentle prod in the right direction works wonders so thanks for that Richard. ;-)

Getting the AP went easily enough but according to the log it wouldn't connect. Then I realised I had the device setup as a AccuWeather rather than Weather Underground ... (Doh).

Oh well, I think you learn more when it goes wrong. ;-)

Following on from that ... if I was to turn on say temperature logging it will go to the SD card. So, would one typically send such logs to say a USB stick plugged into the Pi or possibly a remote share?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Cool, thanks.

Ok.

Understood.

Quite, and hence why the common interface (RFXCOM / RF Link etc) is a transceiver, not just a receiver.

Ok.

But I think there are quite a few Free / Open solutions and wasn't sure if this was considered the go-to one.

That's what I've been doing so far (and do in general with any subject etc) but I was thinking more if when I need to ask a specific question.

Like ... I believe I've configured the remote access to the my Domoticz server (port forwarded TCP and port 8080 to the local ip:8080 but I can't connect to that port using my WAN ip from my phone (mobile data), or from another PC out there on the iNET. My Mrs was able to connect locally using her own account and password (I've not enabled 'don't ask locals to authenticate feature' as yet). Do you have external access working please Richard (then at least I know it's possible etc)?

Hehe, I guess because I've been doing it since WFW it's all pretty easy for me ... the problem seems to be when trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole and getting Linux offer Samba shares etc (that normally also works, in the end). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

SNIP

You could regsiter on the Domoticz forums and post thre.

I have not tried to access Domoticz from the WAN as I used OpenVPN on my mobile to connect into my home LAN.

I think Domoticz does work from the WAN based on:

Can you see any connection attempts in the log files on the Domoticz server?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Ok, I may well do (thanks).

Using VPN seems to be a common answer to those asking for help accessing Domoticz from the Net. I think I have used one but that was years ago (so more stuff to read up on). ;-)

Thanks for those. I'd already found the first one (as you say, Googling for the right words) but found nothing that has helped so far.

I did look but no, so I think it's more to do with my Router. I even briefly put the Pi in a DMZ but still couldn't get though so I'll have to look closer at the networking / router etc (I have a VM cable router that was set as a modem (only) but I'll check it out in case it's set itself back as a router etc (I have a hunch it might be something to do with that as my Fritzbox seems to think the Wan port is on 192.168.0.2. That said I do still get a valid VM address when I check my external address).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Which it had and now I can connect via the web easily.

I even set up a noip DDNS service from the router and that also works. ;-)

I even added my cousins 'Goodwe' solar battery, not that it shows much. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Excellent :-)

If your cousin has roof mounted solar panels, I hope he or she did not let the installers drill through the slates or tiles to anchor the panels.

They install "a rubber bung" to seal the hole and when it eventually fails, then lets water in, which will rot the roof timber -guess who picks up the cost of repair :-(

Better panel installations do not drill through the tiles / slates.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

He does.

Great.

I'll ask him if was there when they did it. I'm not sure if it helps (him) but he just uses the electricity, the suppliers paid for, fitted, maintain the panels and claim the FIT theft.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m