Loft ladder loop

We have a cheap-looking two-section sliding loft ladder, looks like a B&Q or Aldi special. It has a pole made of folded-over cylindrical aluminium bar. When hauling the ladder up and down, I think you're supposed to use the folded end of the pole to push or pull against the gap between the two ladder sections.

This is a awkward because it easily slips. On another ladder I've seen, there was a small metal loop attached to the bottom rung so you can put the pole in the loop and get much better purchase against the ladder, pulling it down and pushing it up.

I could obviously bodge something up with cable ties or whatever, but can anyone tell me this piece of hardware might be called, so I can see if I can source the proper item?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

Mine simple has a slot cut into the bottom step which is made from slightly thicker metal, there is a U shaped metal widget on the end of a broom handle to push it into this slot and pull it down into reach. A rubber door stop is also provided but never really knew why!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Theo was thinking very hard :

Mine is an Aldi special, from a couple of years ago. The pole is a square section alloy tube, with a plastic end. The plastic end is an hook, with a couple of spigots molded as part of the hook. The spigots engage in the lock, to release the trapdoor down / lock it up. The hook is used to hook onto the bottom rung, to pull the ladder down.

The 3-ection ladder has hinges, fixed to the opening, able to slide in runners in the ladder and top of ladder is fixed via a long U/V shaped metal bracket, bottom of the U is fixed to the loft floor.

The overall effect of the hinges and U bracket, makes the ladder come quite down gracefully. The two extension sections have sliding sprung bolts either side, to lock the parts together, so once down, it fairly rigid. Much better than the first 2-section ladder I bought and more rigid.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That sounds like it's fairly decent. Here the ladder is fine, but they've made rather too much out of aluminium, including the pole (which bends) and the arm that screws the ladder to the ceiling (bends and wobbles alarmingly). If only they're used some nice steel.

Sounds like it might be time to break out the cable ties...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Theo was thinking very hard :

The ladder I described is all alloy and plastic. The only steel in the construction is the bolts, a short handrail and the U or V at the top.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield