Loft insulation above spotlights

A company recently installed loft insulation but didn't put any above two ceilings which had low voltage spot lights installed in them.

When challenged, they claim that insulation must not be put above spotlights.

While I can see the logic of not putting any immediately above a 60W mains spotlight fitting, I'm not convinced that the entire bathroom ceiling should be uninsulated because of four 20W low voltage spots located towards the corners.

What would normal good practice be ?

I assume that the ceiling should be insulated, but maybe have a circular gap cut out around the fitting.

Reply to
Roly

You can get special covers to go over the top of the fittings, or alternatively earthenware flower pots are suitable. Something like

200mm diameter types should be fine.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 26 May 2004 12:29:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@Tesco.net (Roly) strung together this:

Not neccesarily common but practice would be to install the insulation to the whole ceiling, except for areas within about 100-200mm of the spot lights. (Unless you're one of the rougher insulation companies, who just throw the insulation over the top, I've seen it done!)

Reply to
Lurch

If you cut slots in the flowerpots first you can place them over existing spots without rewiring. (I obtained this hint from this group a couple of years ago)

Look in the supermarkets for cheap flowerpots.

Robert royall at which net

Reply to
look