Loft Floor Material

Hi all,

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor than those B&Q Diy packs that are for sale. The loft floors quite a big area so would be pretty expensive for those. Would I be better just buying 6x4 chipboard and cutting it up or is there alternatives out there.. Cheers

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

They do 8x2 flooring chip (if you can get it through the hatch)

Reply to
stuart noble

The problem with cutting the larger sheets is that you have no T+G at any of the joints. You'll have to cut every piece to fit exactly so that all the ends are supported on the joists.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Personally, I would use floor boards spaced 2 inches apart. Far lighter and cheaper if bought from a timber merchant.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

re:

Why the 2" gap? draughts and dropped bits could get through the gaps...

[g]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

If you suffer drafts, then you always will, no matter what the gaps are. Drafts through the insulation are bad news and need to be sorted.

The reason for the gaps is to allow you to put less weight on the floor than it was designed to take and still navigate it with relative safety. No gaps in an old house, but the floor of a relatively new one will not take lightly (no pun intended) to the weight of chip board loading it down. Though there have been arguments that the boxing effect raises the strength of the loft floor. I am not sure on that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

precisely. Also the weight of the chip is fairly trivial.

Depends how brassic you are, but the very cheapest floorintg is free discarded half inch chip. If you end up with veneered/melamine, paint it with glue with something in after fitting to give it some grip.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

For the true *Pikey* solution

Pallet planks

YKIMS

Reply to
RW

I'd always use OSB rather than small-chip chipboard. Less sag over time, less prone to moisture-related sag and a bit lighter all round. If you can't buy it as 8x2, then the seller will rip it down for you. Probably makes transport easier too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've been up in my loft for a few days insulating - the floor depends what you want to do with it, if you just want to store a few things or if you're gonna let teenagers play in it in which case it must be a lot tougher...

I've been laying kingspan over the rafters, but if i step on them it can dent so i've laid a few thin bits of plywood on it and an upside down pallet in the middle - I'm not going to let anyone else up there so i dont need chipboard etc...

[g]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)