load bearing wall / costings

Chums

Couple of Qs

Q1 How much is it likely to cost to get a structural engineer into run his/her eye over two relatively straightforward bits of work I'm thinking of doing.

bit of work 1 is a wall which is circa 12ft across and has two doorways in it, in the middle, with about 2 foot between them. (make sense?) I'm fairly certain it's not a load bearing wall but even if it is (and the bit between the wall does have about 2foot of wall running off it at 90degrees), if all I want to do is to essentially knock down the brickwork in the middle and have a single entrance to the part of the house beyond where the two doors are now.

Q2 a builder who was working next door had a look at the work, and reckoned that the whole of the kitchen where this wall was located needed to have the ceiling taken down and 'noggins' bracing all the joists above. Sounded like bollocks to me, as bracing from underneath can't give any support when force is being applied from above,surely?. What are your thoughts on this?

bit of work 2 is to replace a window in an end wall with a door of the same width. Is this likely to have any structural implications?

My main concern is that these works are at the end of a kitchen which has already has the wall to the breakfast room removed, and this would leave the sticky out bit at the backof the edwardian house considerably less supported than was the case originally.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Watson

Your talking bollocks and the builders right, if it is a load bearing wall then the braces have to be shackled undeneath to support the upper load bearing whilst a lintel is positioned in place. [snip]

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Cost me 165 +VAT up here (Chester) for providing plans for inserting an RSJ to replace a load bearing wall

I can't understand how you could draw this conclusion...

Reply to
San Connolly

I'm not talking about temporary support whils the wall is removed, but rather a long term solution which would see (presumably) metal or wood spars (or somesuch) attached in a matrix,underneath the joists,I'd have thought that wouldn't give anywhere near enough support, Obviously, big fecking joists tied into a brick wall are one thing, but much much lighter support structures tied into the joists themselves would give only negligible further support....

Reply to
Mark Watson

I suspect he was talking about noggins between the joists to stop them from twisting - this increases the rigidity rather than the ultimate load bearing capacity.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Probably means herringbone strutting, which vastly increases the stiffness of the floor by transferring the load between joists. All the struts (about inch by inch) are in compression and will transfer their part of the load.

Reply to
<me9

I didn't think of that - good answer :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley