Lining for bathroom floor

What is the preferred material to line an uneven and tatty wooden floor in a first floor bathroom. I want something stable before installing floor covering and a new bathroom suite.

TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Hardboard?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

In article , Broadback writes

Marine ply is overkill, but if you intend to use ceramic tiles, you want a minimum of ½" WBP(?) ply screwed to the joists every 12".

Remember that you may need access to services/pipes/wires under the floor. As this is on the first floor, subsequent access may be easier by cutting into the ground floor ceiling.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nope, soaks up water (etc!) and disintegrates. Thin plywood's much better. David

Reply to
Lobster

Not in my case it ain't. Nothing much uner teh chip..and the chip can't be removed anyway. Celing every time :D

which is why I am going to level a dodgy but with flexy tile cement :D

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry NP don't really understand above. Thanks for the replies, didn't think hardboard would be sufficient, so ply it is. WPB for preference? How about if I cut the ply into segments and screw down, this would allow removal for services? It will not be tiled but lino, or whatever the fancy name it's given these days. :-) Like net curtains have been renamed to make the more acceptable.

Reply to
Broadback

Broadback popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Real Lino {linoleum) is very rare and expensive these days MOST [1] flooring material will be some sort of vinyl.

[1] of the sheet type, excluding carpet etc.
Reply to
soup

Actually I think you might find the Atkins Diet to be more effective there ?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oh. I men that chipboard flooring is not removeable, so down;t woory about that - if you have to rewire chaces are the whole thing will get ripped up anyway.

An once its not removable, just about anything will level a floor.

Personally if your floor is wet, you are in trouble with any material you use - even marine p[ly. It may not delaminate, but it will swell allright.

I've used hardboard under Marley tiles and vinyl no problem. However it doesn't take out gross deformities.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er...yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well maybe a bit of liposuction instead then?

Reply to
Lobster