Lightning conductors

Hi I have recently moved to the czech republic. I noticed that all the houses here have lightning conductors fitted and its by law here to have it fitted.

But I have never noticed these fitted to houses in the UK. I am wandering why?

Reply to
Chris

There is not (yet) a powerful enough group of certificated lighting rod installers to lobby successfully for the law to be passed.

Reply to
Geo

Continental summers, whereas the UK is a maritime climate. Although we do get lightning, it's nothing like as much or as powerful as inland on the central mass of Europe.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

When success is achieved it will be known as Part Î

Reply to
ericp

The reason the czech repunblic has lightning conductors is/was to protect the public address systems that every town and village had t exhort the workers to be good party members.

Imagine Gordon on every hoarding, and pictures of lusty virile commie workers and happy smiling faces, as the radio and everywhere you go plays uplifting music to exhort you to work hard and tell you how wonderful you are under Labour.

So, no change there, then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its a ***k sight worse n tropical africa and they don't bother with conductors either.

It always hits the power lines. Or just the ground. I remember standing on a balcony watching a storm, when a thatched house got hit..and another strike hit the ground about 30 yards in front of me.

The house strike was sufficiently rare to make the papers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 22:56

I don't recall any uplifting music. Just a grumpy policeman who says "you can't take photos here!" Sigh - we can't even do "totalitarian" right...

Now, if we'd had Yuliya Timoshenko as PM, that might have been something to look at...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why are you wandering? Dunno. You should tell us - after all you've wandered to CZ.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No! No! You have invoked the dreaded w_tom!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Tim Streater writes

He could always sing, his knapsack on his back

Reply to
geoff

Lovely!

Reply to
Clot

I recall lightening conductors being commonplace in England in the 1940s and 1950s. I have yet to see one in New Zealand.

Roger Dewhurst

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris saying something like:

The pikeys nicked them all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

She was a complete disaster as Ukraine's PM. I'm not sure that a strange, manic and highly unpredictable woman with a piece of heavy sisal rope tied around her head is someone I would want to consider as a potential leader:

Bruce

There is one in Auckland city called the Skytower. In a thunderstorm at night I can see lightning hitting the Skytower about every minute or so.

Matty F

Bruce wibbled on Tuesday 06 July 2010 09:39

Reply to
Tim Watts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon wibbled on Tuesday 06 July 2010 12:58

Definitely not paper bag territory.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's strange stuff - we lost a small tree a couple of years ago; the lightning decided to completely ignore both the larger woodland that the tree was on the edge of, and the field on the "other side" of it.

Never seen a lightning conductor over here, either, although I can't say I've looked too hard - maybe the bigger buildings do have them.

Reply to
Jules Richardson