Light dimmer recommendations?

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:57:53 -0800, meow2222 wrote: SNIP

From memory the supports are simply isolated wires bedded in the glass central insulator. Again I have no data to back up my theory, but isn't the support fairly irrelevant as far as the actual conductive characteristics go?

I would have thought that the main input from the support would be to provide the pivot point for the filament and hence the position of greatest stress.

Apart from this it would just charge to the potential of the bit of the filament it was in contact with, however any break would surely occur at the support point whether the flexing was caused by repeated heat/ cooling cycles or maybe magnetic forces due to the coiled nature of the filament?

Would you think this is a reasonable conclusion?

Regards

H. Neary

Reply to
Hugh Neary

I really should have looked up this before replying!

Thanks

H. Neary

Reply to
Hugh Neary