Light bulbs (again)

I don't believe that's true. The only reason for saying on the box they must not be used for domestic lighting is to get round the law not to sell such items.

Reply to
Dave W

Rough service mains lamps were certainly common at one time for things like inspection lights - and they did survive being bashed a bit better, but gave less light than a GLS.

A low voltage one was not only safer, but the lamps intrinsically more robust. LEDs even more so. Most pros use cordless LED these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't be ridiculous. They are 'special' lamps. This is clearly stated on the box :-)

Reply to
Scott

LEDs in the fridge are hardly going to save the planet as they are only on for a few minutes a day.

Reply to
Max Demian

I thought they were for "industrial use" as flickering fluorescents could make rotating machinery look stationary due to stroboscopsis (a word I just invented).

Reply to
Max Demian

But how can you be absolutely sure of that? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That could be true too - but their main purpose is to survive rough handling slightly better. As anyone who has used a mains inspection light on say a car would soon find out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Will that change catch 8W T5 tubes used in emergency lighting as well?

I think they're "B" rated, and I use quite a few around the office. Some in maintained (always on) fittings, which need tube replacement about once a year.

Reply to
Caecilius

I made the observation somewhat tongue in cheek, but as Dave says, sometimes the switch will fil/stick etc., then a domestic fridge can't handle 15W of lamp, with the obvious consquences - as I know to my cost. About 3W of LED might be just OK and certainly won't result in continuous running and icing up of the freezer.

Reply to
PeterC

One of the common problems I come across with the 2D lightfittings is the lamp holder itself that has become brittle due to the heat from the lamp.

The LED replacement giving out less heat does not cause this problem. Although the LED replacements are a bit pricey.

Reply to
ARW

The ones I had also had a film coating so if broken the glass wouldn't go everywhere but stay together in pretyy much one place.

Reply to
whisky-dave

special lamps for special people you might say. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave