Proper light bulbs returning?

I see a few places are stocking 100W incandescent bulbs again.
I thought they had been banned under EU regs.
Personally I welcome them. They are brighter than their "equivalents". Instant on, and a hell of a lot cheaper now the subsidies have rendered the so called more efficient lamps so expensive.
HN

Only if they live up to their promised lifetime which IME they don't get anywhere near, especially the very expensive high power ones you need to replace a 100W incandescent.
Chris
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 13:00:44 -0800 (PST), chrisj.doran% snipped-for-privacy@gtempaccount.com wrote:

But carbon filament lamps are incandescent.
I assume the total cost of ownership refers to Tungsten incidentally.
HN

harry wrote:

Do you remember it well?:-)
--
Adam

They came back as horribly inefficient decorative lamps a few years ago (were available in B&Q, and may still be).
They've always been available for laboratory use from lab suppliers, normally for imaging their filaments through optics (e.g. pin-hole cameras).
They have an interesting failure mode - if the glass cracks and air gets in, they normally explode at next switch-on.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

110 years old and still going...
http://www.centennialbulb.org/photos.htm#anchor1234
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 2012-03-04, John Williamson wrote:

I'm sure they're running it in ideal conditions.
chrisj.doran% snipped-for-privacy@gtempaccount.com wrote:

And if a CFL fails early in its life my experience is that one really resents having to pay so much to replace it.

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

The LEDs are even worse.......
--
Adam

On Mar 4, 3:13am, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I don't think that's very accurate, for 3 reasons.
1. CFLs do have early failures, and of course this is made up for by the ones that last longer than rated life. Ie there isnt really a problem.
2. A cfl need only function for a short time to pay off its additional purchase cost. http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=CFL#Sample_Saving_Calculation
3. I dont see any reason to resent the fact that some fail early, some last longer than rated. Its how all types of bulb work.
NT
On 04/03/2012 08:39, NT wrote:

It is because of the cost compared to traditional bulbs which are less than a pound each. Would you accept the same argument for other consumer goods? If a TV is expected to last seven years and some last fifteen would be be upset if the one you bought only lasted six months? What about a new car?
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

I have had consistently good results from Prolite spirals over the last 3 years. I have had a couple of bulbs burning 24h/day and the lifetime seems to be around 2 years - so somewhere bweteen 15,000 - 20,000 hours.
The 25W and 30W BC ones are extremely good - fast start up and good light - far better than an incandesent for working by.
But they are not cheap - which pretty much sums it up. I got fed up with supermarket crap dying or being useless I did a trial of several types.
Megaman aren't a bad make either.
--
Tim Watts

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I've had two out door Megaman spot lights actually fill up with water - strangely they stopped working soon after that, but pretty lousy for an external bulb!
AWEM

My experience with that brand <http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/bulb/
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk
Alan wrote:

How many blew up out of how many did you try?
A sample of one/one can be bad luck. One of mine was DoA but was replaced for free.
--
Tim Watts

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:20:42 +0000, Alan wrote:

My experience with 'daylight' Prolite: buzzed, stank and poor output. Got a full refund OK. Pity really, as they were what I was after according to the blurb.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote:

It's really weird as I've had about 15 of them for building site lighting, all 25-30W BC. One DoA (replaced), 3 got broken, and about 4-5 have died of natural causes after something like 2+years permanantly on - of those that died, I think 2 actually died and the rest were dimming and going brown/grey so they got canned.
I get mine from Lampspecs - not that that should make any difference, unless there are fakes kicking around.
I've had GE branded CFLs which have been shite - but the worst brand which turned out not to be worth a spit was "Your" or "You" of something like that (some chinese brand).
--
Tim Watts

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:16:37 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

My impression of Prolite is that they're intrisically fakes.

I saw advice, years ago, to use only the well-known brands and those included GE - oh well...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Years ago, the well-known brands used to design and manufacture their own products. I get the impression they just go shopping in China nowadays, and you get some good, and some bad products.
Philips was a good make, but around the time the CFL Genie came out, the quality seemed to drop rather noticably.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I recommended the 23W Feit ones from Costco elsewhere in the thread. They are cheap (and come variously in packs of 4 or 6), but they're currently out of stock until April. I've fitted loads of them over the last 4-5 years and so far very few have failed. Many of these are running in enclosed hot fittings too.
--
Andrew Gabriel