Lidl's plumbing kit?

I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're for putting thread onto pipes. I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Reply to
Arty Flinders

Lots but rarely at DIY level. I thought it was a bending set, apparently like you did. That's why it's still on their shelves, no use for it.

Reply to
EricP

In article , Arty Flinders writes

Probably for metal electrical conduit

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Might it be an economical option to buy the kit and migrate to this type of fitting?

Yes, there were rather a lot of them on the pile.:)

Reply to
Arty Flinders

I did wonder if such activities were considered as "plumbing". But then, what other than lead-work is?

Reply to
Arty Flinders

In article , Arty Flinders writes

Does sound a bit unlikely

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Compressed air distribution ? Most still use galvanised steel pipe and threaded fittings.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I've done that! Bastard hard work, it is. Plumbers must have been muscly buggers years ago.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Good alternative to a gym subscription. Worth a small fortune in savings on trendy sweatwear alone.

Reply to
Arty Flinders

And its going out in industrial use too, tube systems such as Swagelok taking over most of it, though a number of equipments still have iso/bsp threaded fittings.....

Badger

Reply to
Badger

They were. Spouse was taught by a Master Plumber, a true artist and a small man but powerful. His son succeeded him and he and Spouse worked together. He too was small but very stocky and strong. Spouse is small and wiry but strong.

They needed to be small to get into the tight holes under sinks and behind wcs and they had to be strong to hold up and carry the heavy components of those days.

But was it cause or effect?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Copper has been for a long time. Nowadays it's plastic.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Have you ever read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" ? (one of the best novels ever written BTW)

It's the story of turn-of-the-century (that's 1900, Mary) housepainters in Hastings, and how they're exploited by their employer. Some credit it with helping the Labour landslide in 1945.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Written by an ex RAF officer. An excellent entertaining book.

Reply to
IMM

I thought it was a singular philanthropist but the answer is yes.

The pity is that I can't remember it ... :-(

Oh, THAT century :-)

What has that to do with hunky plumbers?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No vans. They have to carry their own ladders and grind their own red lead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Is that what happened in the novel?

Spouse's plumbing mentor was my godfather. He had a van, a Jowett Bradford. It was the only i.c.e. vehicle which ever came into our street in the 1940s. I was fascinated by the way he 'tickled' the carburettor to get it to start. I don't remember him using red lead in any form though, I thought that was painters?

He didn't use ladders ofen either, most plumbing was done from inside ... even glazing.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Plumbers used plenty of red lead. Cast iron fittings would be primed with a lead paint. Any joints between cast iron pipe should be made (caulked) with hemp string and jointers putty with red lead worked into it. You can skip the red lead for earthenware, but cast iron needs it to stop rusting and bursting the collar.

The guys in the book are painters though. Their hunkiness isn't mentioned (although all the capitalists are portly, red-faced and given to watering the worker's beer)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah yes, it's coming back now ... I think ...

Ah. A real work of fiction then - still don't remember it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher