Lidl offers

On 15:15 31 May 2016, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You're right but the sad outcome is the NHS buys those surgical instruments on the mistaken assumption they're suitable.
http://www.plattsnisbett.com/wordp/?p 5

But it may well be cheaper to get them from the EU.

They don't with the bulk of the food they sell.

BULLSHIT.
On 31/05/16 11:11, Timothy Murphy wrote:

So much for 'the uncertainty of brexit' That seems very certain, in your eyes... one is reminded of 'the science is settled, but we need a another trillion dollars for scientific research' from the 'Climb-it' community.
Of course the answer is that actually no one knows. New Zealand lamb will probably come down, and, as the Euro tanks, a lot of European produce too.
African food will be cheaper too. Once we are free to trade outside the close EU markets with their tariff barriers to protect the French and East European agricultural sectors.
With luck brexit will break up the EU and everything will get cheaper as European countries have to either lower their currency valuations, or get more efficient to compete in a free world market, rather than being protected by EU tariffs and subsidies
On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:43:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And /if/ "the pound will plunge against the dollar" UK made goods will become more attractive abroad. That's good for UK manufacturing! :-)

It seems the EU will not need out help to break up. France & Italy could be the next European economies to crash. As they are denied the option of devaluation, both countries have relied on debt-funded public spending to maintain economic activity and living standards. They both share problems of slow growth, unemployment, poor public finances and structural problems. They have found it difficult to reform and face an increasingly tough political environment. But the /real/ problem is the lack of competitiveness, and underlying many of these problems is the single currency.
--
The New European Soviet - Mikhail Gorbachev
http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/globalism/regionalism/soviet-eu.htm
Martin Barclay wrote:

That is true. But the standard of living in the UK will fall.
--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
On 31/05/16 14:25, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Uk standard of living will of course rise!
private property.

BULLSHIT given that Britain will be able to get cheaper imports from other than the EU.
And the pound won't plunge anyway, essentially because Britain will do fine outside the EU even if the EU chooses to refuse to have a trade agreement unless it includes free movement of people with the EU. And given that that is true of just THREE of these, have fun explaining why they would insist on that with Britain given that Britain is free to make an obscene gesture in the general direction of the EU and use the WTO rules any time it likes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_free_trade_agreements
Rod Speed wrote:

The UK imports more per head than most countries. Hence the cost of living inevitably rises if the currency falls.

Even if that were true the pound would fall against the dollar immediately after Brexit. Currencies always fall if there is uncertainty about the country's economy, and there would be uncertainty about the UK economy since it would take time to make trade deals.
It is true that in the medium term the currency might recover. Or it might not. But it is certain that in the short term it would fall.
--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
On 01/06/16 09:34, Timothy Murphy wrote:

We dont need trade deals to trade.

It is not. It is lilely that the Euro would fall, since without Britain the EU would have no chance of balancing its books ever.

Just because the euro falls doesn't mean sterling will not also fall. The most likely scenario is that they will both fall and that it will affect the UK more as we import more.
On 01/06/16 12:40, dennis@home wrote:

says the man with a 'degree in pharmacology and needlework'...

True, but there is no reason why the pound should fall much given that Britain would be able to import stuff from wherever it is cheapest, unlike now.

Not by much tho with the pound.

But would be able to import from where the imports are cheapest, unlike currently, so the effect might well even be positive. Particularly as the pound falling a bit would help the exports of what Britain does still export like aircraft engines for heavys etc.

Bullshit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_imports
And even if that was true, and it isn't, when the imports are cheaper because Britain is outside the EU and so can import what it imports from the cheapest sources available, that means a lower cost of living.

You haven't either established that the currency will fall relative to the currency of the countrys Britain would import from when it is free to import from anywhere it likes, or that even if it did, that the currency would fall more than the cost of imports does.

Easy to claim and you previously claimed it would PLUNGE, too.

There would be no uncertainty about Britain's economy if it left the EU.

Britain is free to trade under the WTO rules without any trade deals.

The currency isnt going to PLUNGE as you previously lied.

BULLSHIT.
On 31/05/2016 13:01, Martin Barclay wrote:

Only if we don't have to pay more for the stuff to make them.
On 31/05/16 15:16, dennis@home wrote:

I see the concept of 'value added' has completely passed you by.
..I'd spend it on drink.

You get less for it when you sell it and it costs you more to make, has that passed you by?

That is only a small part of the cost with most stuff.
On 31/05/2016 11:11, Timothy Murphy wrote:

After you with that crystal ball.
On Tue, 31 May 2016 17:39:02 +0100, soup wrote:

Indeed. In any case, it will perhaps still be stronger than the euro, as so many eurozone countries have problems.
--
The New European Soviet - Mikhail Gorbachev
http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/globalism/regionalism/soviet-eu.htm
soup wrote:

Will he please lend it to the treasury first.