Lidl let down

Yes there will be, because there is no need to remove it from the petrol.

Its removed from those because of the health downsides of it with those. That isnt true of petrol. They don?t even remove benzene from petrol, even tho it has known real health downsides.

Reply to
Hankat

What is the intended market then? I see there is one in lewisham which may be the nearest to you

Could you pop over and ask. Somebody must be willing to pay the 58p per litre mark up.
and if it isn't owners of old cars who is it? One thing I have noticed about these suppliers is that they all have attended service, perhaps a requirement of the licence to sell it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Only thing I can think of is some types of classic car racing. But then the correct fuel would be available at the track.

I'm trying to think of any road car that must have high octane leaded petrol.

Plenty of 50s and later cars which had cast iron cylinder heads did suffer valve problems without lead. But those would most likely have had hardened valve seats and valves fitted by now if in regular use.

Expensive makes like Rolls Royce always did have hardened seats fitted so don't need leaded. Very old cars were made to run on low quality fuel anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is avoiding telling the truth in order not to hurt your sesnitive feelings a condition to avoid your killfile huge?

Methanol has mever been a part of petrol then now or ever. Methanol is not part of ethanol, and it is a contaminant that is ruthjelessley elminated from it. I say this Wiki says this. No one says otherwise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are talking through your arse.

First off ethanol is only added to petrol to make it 'biofuel'

Ergo that ethanol is distilled from fermented grain starch. Methanol is not produced. The way to get methanol is entirely different. In general its synthesised from petrochemicals

The onbly place you will see internal combustion engines running on metahnol is the racetrack or model glow plug engines.

Its very dangerous for cars and I think is now banned fom all formulae after several fires which went unnoticed because the flame is transparent.

Some drag cars may still use it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Top fuel drag cars typically use 90% nitromethane and 10% methanol (15 gallons for a quarter mile and reaching speeds of 300+mph)

Other classes of drag cars can/do use methanol

alan_m

I thought that a few years ago the Queen insisted that her fleet of vintage Rolls Royces be converted to take unleaded petrol, though they usually ran on five star.

Reply to
Max Demian

I do agree but I wouldn't want to count on Lidl's after-sales taking something away and fixing it under warranty. They just don't seem to have the infrastructure for it.

I find the same which is what I meant when I wrote: apart from getting an exchange of goods at the till.

The quality of their goods is generally decent and I like them but I pray that nothing goes wrong.

Reply to
pamela

The Queen has a fleet of vintage Rolls Royce? In vintage days, royalty favoured Daimler.

If you mean the variety of post WW2 Phantoms, the six cylinder cars would be happy on the lowest grade petrol available. The V-8s would run best on high octane unleaded. But none needs unleaded as such.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh indeed. But will give you your money back if you have proof of when purchased.

I doubt you'd get any shed brand tools repaired either. And even companies like Bosch that do list spares are often so expensive it's better to just buy new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bought their pseudo Philips shaver, it's crap.

Reply to
Capitol

Not when it is used in petrol it isnt.

No it does not with ethanol used as a petrol additive.

Reply to
Hankat

We'll see...

Yes.

That is just one source of ethanol that is added to petrol.

It it with ethanol produced from the fermentation of quite a bit of biowaste.

Irrelevant to the fact that when ethanol is produced by the fermentation of biowaste, you inevitably end up with more than just ethanol and methanol is one of the other alcohols you end up with. When distilling it for human consumption, the early output from the still is methanol and is discarded because it has real human health downsides when consumed.

No need to discard it when the ethanol is added to petrol.

That is methanol which is mostly methanol, not what ends up in the ethanol added to petrol.

But that isnt a problem when its an impurity in the ethanol added to petrol and so it isnt banned in that situation.

We arent discussing using it neat, we are discussing it as an impurity in the ethanol added to petrol. Methanol is an inevitable impurity in ethanol that is produced by fermentation and there isnt any point in removing it when its added to petrol.

Reply to
Hankat

Best T shirt slogan I have ever seen - at Santa Pod many years ago

Gasoline is for Washing parts. Alcohol is for drinking. Nitromethane - now that's for racing with.

Although a quick look on google seems to indicate that the slogan has been stolen by the diesel brigade nowadays.

Reply to
Chris B

My early memories of Santa Pod were camping in knee deep mud and regularly watching Sammy Miller, including his 0 to 386mph in 3.6 seconds run.

These days I tend to only go for the big meetings and when the weather forecast is for no rain. I turn up at around 8:30am, wander around the pits, have a cup of coffee and breakfast, insert the ear defenders, watch the racing, watch the cleaning of the track, have a lunch time drink from the bar and get sunburnt irrespective of how much sun screen I use! I find some of the more enjoyable racing is from the lower classes of cars although the top classes are spectacular. One thing that possibly annoys me most is parents who bring young children to these meeting and then don't provide them with ear defenders - the sound from a top fuel car is well beyond the threshold of pain.

Reply to
alan_m

It is.

ethanol is not methanol.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bollocks

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Slammin' Sammy Miller's rocket car! In 1984 he set the world record at

3.58 seconds. Fast but the lack of sound and smell made it unspectacular.

Sadly Sammy was killed working on a Texas oilfield in 2002.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Ah, a different Sammy Miller. Not being a petrol head I thought it maybe the Motor cycle racer of the same name had tried another sport.

The one I was thinking of is still alive and well, His museum is well worth a visit even for non petrol heads and is close enough to the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu that both could be visited in a weekend.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I disagree the contrast between a top fuel car on the start line and a car that sits silently was marked. The pure novelty value was worth watching and quite spectacular, at least for the first half a dozen times.

These days the regular novelty is Eric Teboul's rocket bike

alan_m