Letter boxes, legal requirement ?

If you are hanging around after curfew, you should be shot on sight..pass me the Purdey, Pamela,, there's a passer-by, roamin' in the gloamin. Must be a Roamany. Hasn't go a hound, anyway, so no bloody excuse for a PM pee run.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't there a rule somewhere about not having letterbox slots in the bottom of a door, tosave postie's back? Or did I dream that?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The local authority is responsible for enforcement. It's obviously a concern for emergency vehicles trying to find somewhere.

Maybe when you eventually find the house you could sell them a solar powered illuminated house number sign.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That much vacuum would be expensive - only a sucker would buy it.

Fill the house with CO2; that'll do the trick and cut globble worming.

Reply to
PeterC

I had one of those but it only lit the number up during daylight ;-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

But you can elect not to receive the leaflets and flyers that the Royal Mail delivers with the "real" mail. In my experience that cuts down the total volume of stuff delivered by about half.

Reply to
Bruce

Mine's completely draught-proof too, because it's way down at the bottom of the driveway. Pain in the bum when it's raining or snowing, though - I need one of those pneumatic message-tube systems so I can suck mail back from the box to the house :-)

Reply to
Jules

if you fill it with CO then if any oxygn did get in it would dephlogistinate to CO2..

sleep welll..

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Lamson tubes, still available to buy if you want many supermarkets have them to connect the tills to a secure cash room.

Wonder of you could rig something up with downspout piping and a wet 'n dry vacuum cleaner?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You don't have newspapers delivered, do you?

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Yes - and we have the strange concept of drive-in banks this side of the Pond, which have those systems to transfer stuff between the vehicle and the bank itself. (That whole idea still seems incredibly goofy somehow, and I still prefer going inside and talking to a human being face-to-face :-)

Maybe :-) The challenge might be making it bidirectional (because you can use your US mailbox as a postbox, and send outgoing mail as well as receiving it).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Genius! I'd never thought of that!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ambulance service seem to have it sussed. When a call comes onto the screen in the ambulance the sat nav is automatically set. The controller can see the ambulances sat nav on his screen. For Cat A calls the controller keeps the caller online, so the crew can be updated on the situation (and the caller can be told how far away the ambulance is).

When the ambulance is close the caller is told to go outside & wave like mad. They also have side mounted floodlights on the newer trucks.

Looking in to it already :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'll remember that when I've nailed myself to the floor.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You will need to make the phonecall before you nail yourself to the floor:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No, I need to nail myself to the floor within reach of the mobile phone in my pocket.

Opening the front door might be a bit of a problem too...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Jesus needed a hands free phone or a miracle.

Or did he phone his Dad for help?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The controller would tell you not too :-)

Or the system would trigger the arrival of Old Bill with the Big Red Key :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wish SWMBO would decide where she wants the house number put. I've been waiting years to fit it.

Reply to
Mark

In my far off days as an instructor at "The London Postal Training School" postmen were trained to always use two hands for safety. Many of the sprung letter box flaps are made from thin stainless steel and the bottom edge can be very sharp. A common cause of accidents was pushing the letters in with one hand and then attempting to guillotine the fingers on the way out, hence the training to open with one hand and insert with the other.

Reply to
Tinkerer