LEDs - getting there slowly.

In article , you say...

Whatever Clive could find that were as cheap as possible.

The specs of the Z12 were very badly written - on purpose, I would guess - to lure the unsuspecting into thinking they were going to get something far superior to what they were actually buying.

How many ever got 12W RMS output, for example?

Here's something I wrote on the subject a few years ago:

&postcount=22

or

Terry Casey

You IIRC wrong. Quad was late in bringing out a transistor amp. Their first, the 303, used 2N3055, or equivalent.

Leak lost the plot when transistors arrived.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

didn't they all? the 303 is crap compared to the II Sansui's fall from grace was even worse.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In some ways, maybe. But was virtually bomb proof and very reliable. Still plenty in use. Doubt you'd fine many early Leak transistor amps still working.

Think the first transistor power amp I really liked was the Linsey Hood.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Quad II was excellent*. Not perfect, but excellent. Anyone buying a 303 has wasted their money, you can get better for free on freecycle etc. Having a good play with one was a shock after being used to IIs.

  • If only the 22 control unit had been upto the same standard. It definitely wasn't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Including mine.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have to agree, The Quad 303 was pretty rubbish by what came later, and not a patch on the valve amp that perceded it, BUT it was stable.

What we needed, and subsequently got, were high speed power transistors that didnt suffer switch on delay in class B amps and then finally Power MOSFETS that were even better.

That was when I stoped designing HiFi and audio - no challenge left.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did you check the 303 was actually to spec? Many aren't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, I wasn't aware they were less than honest about the specs. What matters is the product. I'm sure they put plenty of time/money into designing it, but the result was a bit of a dud, so why they released it I'm not sure.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I meant check the bias current.

Quad bashing was always a favourite hobby. But those who did often couldn't tell the difference in properly conducted tests.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's easy to see why having had a 303. I sold it without delay. If so many are wrongly biased, then stable they are not. IMHO the 303 was just a mistake, they should have stuck to what they were excellent at.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr