LED's on 240 volt ac

Yes, quite right the current would be a bit low, on reflection I thought 470R might be a bit low as that is a 0.5A limit and LEDs are a bit peak sensitive. I chose the high voltage version of the diode because they are cheap and because I didn't want a failure of the LED to ripple through and cause the failure of the diode (single fault safety principle & all that) but wasn't clever enough as failure of the diode will result in the LED popping.

Reply to
fred

Ah - missed that bit. You should have included it in the equation. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@despina.uk.clara.net:

I'd have used a 4006, perhaps I never got as far down the list as 1N4007.

Any how, I use a 4006 for absolutely every general purpose silicon diode, I'v used zillions (nearly)

Perhaps I lack imagination :)

mike

Reply to
mike

Maplin's green neons are an amber neon with a green lens. It gives a sort of dim shit colour, literally.

Real green neons used to be available (actually, they were fluorescent, utilising the UV lines from a discharge). Not seen them for some time, and they didn't have the same life as regular neons.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you connect at peak (340V), it's 0.7A, which will damage most

20mA LED's eventually.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel