Leather glues

Does anyone know of any leather glues available in the UK which fulfil the following:

Water-based (not the common toluene-or-whatever-type solvents); Flexible - needs to leave the leather as flexible as possible so woodworking PVA is not suitable; Suitable for relatively large areas - e.g. A5.

Tandy used to supply within the UK but no longer - and their P&P (plus possible VAT, etc.) and likely slow delivery in these current times make import from the USA less than attractive. (Not to mention the dreadful state of GBP:USD.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

What is the application?. Copydex is quite good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1, also does it have to be water resistant? I think I would be considering evo-stik or similar in spite of being solvent based.

There is a reason leather products are usually stitched rather than glued.

Reply to
newshound

Trying Copydex right now but not convinced.

Application is making "things" out of leather - probably not a million miles away from handbags and other small bag-like items. (It isn't me who wants to do this.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

She is stitching as well! I don't know the detailed construction. But she expressly don't want solvent glue in her work room.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

In that case you don't need much peel strength. Another thing you could consider is double sided sticky tape.

Reply to
newshound

Cobblers seem to use glues like snotty old evostik, and hammer it for good measure

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes - I think that might be worth exploring.

Just this morning found that the USA product(s) seem to be PVEA - but the MSDS doesn't give enough info. (As little as they can get away with seems to be the rule.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Have a look online at Woolies. They supply all sorts of trim materials and repair kits for car trimming. And you could also get help from them on the phone - although not sure about now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Had a look - thanks. All seem to be solvent based.

We have had luck and a small UK supplier had a last pot of some glue or other which does conformt o requirements! Has been bought and will be tested.

Thank you folks.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google