Leaking rad

OK, this is a dumb question i'm sure, but i'm looking for tips and/or inspiration please :-}

I have a leaky rad - it appears to be the "stub" that goes into the rad itself, rather than the rest of the valve (which looks like this one :

I haven't played much with plumbing, and although I can see how the valve part seems to seal against the "stub" by virtue of the nuts, which will have olives behind them (I think!), I can't see a way to tighten the "stub" end into the rad - there are no flats I can get a spanner on as far as I can tell to tighten it.

There's a little PTFE around the thread as it goes into the rad, but I suspect when it was fitted, it was the plumbers' vaguely indifferent apprentice who tightened it (or otherwise...)

I suppose i'm just a little worried that if I grab it with a pair of pipe grips i'll just crush it (although there isn't an awful lot of room to get a bite on it to begin with) :-}

I could even be completely wrong, and find out that the nut is captive, and it's only the general application of PTFE to the valve itself stops the damn thing from leaking, but I suspect not :-}

TIA :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:32:59 +0100, Colin Wilson mused:

Allen key up the middle of the tail for tightening and removing. Some do have flats on them for fitting and removing without the allen key.

Reply to
Lurch

Ahh - thanks, i'm *sure* the aforementioned apprentice didn't use one on any of the rads - just used the valve body itself to add leverage !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Which works fine except:

1) The valve might not go all the way around (especial it might foul the supply pipe). 2) The valve even when done up really tight can still slip on the tail. In this case you simply have to cut off the coupling nut and use stilsons to get the grip needed. 3) The new tail is easier to fit using a radiator key not the new valve (which may well be a thermostatic and have no suitable gripping areas).
Reply to
Ed Sirett

I wasn't arguing - just making the point that it seems to have been done a little lax the first time :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson