Leaded solder.

I suspect they're not in the least ineffectual. Probably all bought stock in solder manufacturers and in silver and copper mines as soon as they realised what was happening.

Reply to
Windmill

I tried to use one of those double-jawed 22mm pipe soldering irons to fix a leaking pipe the plumber had dutifully soldered with lead-free.

The iron didn't get hot enough to melt the lead-free solder, and I had to use a blowtorch with a steak pie tin lid behind the pipe to deflect the flame from the wooden cistern support.

That worked. And I used leaded solder as insurance against future issues of the same sort.

Reply to
Windmill