Lead service pipe replacement - who pays?

In the process of upgrading the water main into the house. The water company has confirmed lead connects the main to our house. We've replaced up from the water co stopcock with 25mm MDPE and the water co is happy with that side of the install.

However, the waterco has now decided that because the water main runs down the centre of the road (a single carriageway A road) we will have to contribute to the cost of its service pipe replacement because of the traffic control, Highway/Local Authority permits etc. that will be required.

My reading of the DWI guidance to consumers

"It can be required to do this free of charge."

or the The Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2000

"...the water undertaker shall modify or replace its part of the pipe"

gives no mention of the consumer having to stick his hand in his pocket.

Does anyone have any relevant experience in this area? After all I am loathe to pay up to (a) maintain someone else's asset and (b) fulfil their statutory obligations.

Trevor

Reply to
t_hobden

As far as I know you are responsible for the pipework from your boundary ( which I assume is the outside stop tap ) and not down the road around the corner under a motorway through a water treatment plant via a reservoir from god up above

Reply to
IAN

But I am sole beneficiary of the service pipe between the main and my boundary.

I just wondered if anyone else had been asked to chip in for this service or are they just trying it on?

Reply to
t_hobden

I think they are trying it on! Go back and ask to speak to someone higher up the chain of command. If it was a brand new connection then they would be correct but it is their pipe and they should pay.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In article , IAN writes

I wonder if it is the boundary or the supply company's stopcock, if the latter is in the pavement then it makes little difference but if (unusually) it is in the road then it could explain their position.

Reply to
fred

You are responsible for the bit from your boundary to your house. If the bit outside your property leaks it their problem. Get proper advise and challenge them.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

No leaks, just trying to boost the flow rate and get rid of the lead to boot. The stop c*ck's a metre from the boundary but we've dug past that to the boundary.

The water co's T&Cs state they will replace FOC. No mention of charges if the job looks tougher than they first thought.

The difficulty I do see if they dig their heels in is the job is listed at such low priority that it doesn't get done in a reasonable timescale. I see no provision in the regs to set a deadline.

Reply to
t_hobden

the boundary. Had a leaflet from Thames Water not so long ago stating this and offering 'insurance' in case anything should happen to it.

Reply to
DJC

When I've been involved in this, they have wanted to charge for replacing their section. The only exception was in a few soft-water areas where they will replace their lead main FOC. However they then insist on a water bylaw inspection of the house. (Thames Water & Three Valleys Water).

In your case the restriction on the flow may be mostly due to their section which would be bad news. However there is no harm in replacing your section up to the boundary and see what improvement you get?

Reply to
Ed Sirett