Large light bulb for very old street lamp

As it was once gas, the 'bulb' (mantle) wouldn't have been very big.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

They all look the same when lit up:-)

Reply to
ARW

Still readily available and cheap. They were preferred over sodium lamps because the colour was more like the original gas lamps.

There is probably an LED street lighting lamp that would do the job very well. It rather depends upon whether the OP is looking for maximum efficiency or something that is reminiscent of the period lamp.

Reply to
Nightjar

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Reply to
ARW

On Saturday, 3 October 2015 11:24:59 UTC+1, ARW wrote: nt:

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or sodium. There are none.

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mercury *ARE* HID lamps.

There are none.

Prat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I mean what are generally known as HID lamps, which use a lot more than mercury in the arc.

yawn

Reply to
tabbypurr

eg your brain.

Reply to
ARW

Ah, wasn't firing on all cylinders last night. Day 3 of a cold and lungs further irritated by the dust from stacking 800 kg of logs.

Looked at the similar style street lights in twon this evening. They have a panel at ceiling level below the roof and the fitting is attached to that with a ridged upturned bowl as difuser around the bulb which I think is HP sodium. That is they are orange but not the monochromatic orange of LP sodium. Don't look to bad. B-)

This arrangement also ensures that the only light heading skywards has to be reflected at least once. Light pollution is a problem in many places.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True, but part of the attraction of an old lamp like that is how it looks in the day time as well...

Reply to
John Rumm

On Saturday, 3 October 2015 19:10:26 UTC+1, ARW wrote: nt:

so there are no advantageous apps for mercuries.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Pretty good on a like for like swap.

Reply to
ARW

If you look carefully in this screen shot you can see a gaslight they still have them here in Cambridge. Its down Barrow road which is a private road hence Google didn't go there. They are very dim at night but since the council upgraded our lights there're bloody useless too;!.

tony sayer

Indeed, that may be true and it was not my first consideration.

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , Mr Sandman escribió:

Ebay 121681045210 might do what you want. The listing has a pic of it installed in a similarly-shaped lantern similar to the one you linked to.

Supposed to be 200W equivalent, though it's 4000k which might be a bit too cool. For a period-effect fitting I would think you'd want a warmer light than that, say 3000k.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Is it your pole? BT, if it is theirs, won't be impressed.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Gas is still in use in parts of London

LED filament lamp for looks and pile of LEDs in a louvred compartment in the roof of the lantern for actual light.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Any application which currently uses them, and you need to replace the lamp!

Don't you mean obsolescent? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

If you wander round when is now known as the "adventure island" theme park in Southend at night, its got loads of discharge lighting - in any run of lamps they quite often alternate high pressure sodium with mercury... So you get the yellow / pinky cast from the sodium, and a slight blue / purple tinge from the mercury. The effect is actually quite pleasing (far more so than either technology on its own would be).

Reply to
John Rumm

As does the settlement of Throop on the edge of Bournemouth which has nearly thirty of them still in use, in the touristy part of the town they would look reasonably at home but Throop is well off the Tourist bit and is a village that over the years has become a dormitory estate for Bournemouth. Apparently the place was "forgotten" when the rest of the town was converted and the gas lamps remained untouched for so long they are now listed and must stay. Its not as if the borough would have had trouble getting electric to the place years ago, despite its rural looks even back in the 30's enough people lived there that it was worth running the Trolley Bus wires to it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg