Laptop oddity/frustration ?

Depends on the age really. Some did but not since xp days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If the screen is missing, I'd say yes. Wouldn't be difficult to make an aerial, though. Think it was just a loop of wire running round the screen on mine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It wouldn?t have been done that way on that laptop.

Reply to
Tim J

Thanks for all replies.

Spurred on by this thread, I rummaged through the Event log, and sure enough found loads of entries about a Atheros AR5BWB222 connecting to WiFi when the laptop was first bought. However that device isn't showing up in device manager. Seems it's an inbuilt card, so either it's become disconnected (maybe the same event which trashed the screen), or ... I don't know.

However seems there are loads of google hits about "Atheros AR5BWB222 missing" :)

I wonder if a Windows update lost it ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've got an Acer V5-531 (not 551). It also uses an Atheros AR5WB222.

The wireless adapter was problematic under Win7 causing freezing of the laptop (under video streaming or copying large files) and also I had to stop Windows updates due to them hanging.

Eventually I swapped to Ubuntu and the wireless card was recognised and worked although I never used it enough to know if the freezing problem was fixed.

Also recently my Ubuntu SSD in it failed so I stuck in a pre configured Win10 system drive, again the Atheros AR5B222 appears to work.

The laptop working under Win10 is a bit of a surprise as it refused to update win I tried to do a free upgrade from Win7.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

I meant AR5BWB222

Reply to
Paul Welsh

Open it up and see if the card has been removed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you try what I suggested? Pressing the function key marked with wi- fi, while holding down the Fn key on the left hand side?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes - nothing at all. And nothing on demsg when I tailed it in Linux :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

So after knowing it *should* have a card inside, I decided to open it up (as per video upthread) and sure enough - there's a card perfectly placed.

Have removed and replaced it, and am waiting for bootup to see if it's fixed it.

If not, presumably it's borked :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

or disabled in the BIOS?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So, final update:

after removing panel, and reseating n/w card, powered up, and .... nothing. *However* a gander at device manager showed ... a faulty network card, which a manual stab at trying to install the Windows Online Driver failed.

However I had the official Acer Win 7 install pack for the Atheros card, so I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, and lo !! There it was. Sitting in the list, ready to rock.

So machine is now happily running with inbuilt WiFi - I can connect in using NoMachine, so the replacement screen isn't a biggie.

Reading the various fora with similar issues, I find myself wondering if a Windows Update managed to bork the adapter to the extent it needed to be removed, the machine powered on, and then refitted to get Windows to wake up ???? Which doesn't explain why Linux couldn't find it, unless there's a really weird register which can disable the card permanently ?

Thanks to all for suggestion. I really, really, really was trying to avoid opening the machine (because I've reached a limit of things "open and awaiting repair" :) with SWMBO).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It could affect the range etc, but should not change the visibility of the network interface to the computer.

Have you tried the function key both with and without the Fn modifier key (some laptops do it backwards where you have to hold Fn to get the normal function key rather than the special function).

Do any of the other keyboard controls work (and give on screen symbology) like the volume or brightness keys? (if not, you may need a bit of Acer specific software loaded to enable these things).

Reply to
John Rumm

It would not be the first time I have had to drive out to a customer just to ultimately flip that switch for them. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's configurable (in the BIOS) with mine. Default was Fn for Fx, but I reversed it so the Fx keys are more accessible.

Reply to
Max Demian

Acer BIOS is deliberately minimal.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Same here. I thought the reversal option might have been applied.

(new HP one)

Reply to
Bob Eager