Laptop battery repair, help

My laptop battery died suddenly, so I measured the voltage which was zero, Curious, nothing to lose I took the case apart and found the black component arrowed

circuit it is the main connection between battery pack and circuit board, Battery measures full voltage before this device. I assume this is a thermal/current breaker So anyone know were I could find a replacement, or even exactly what this component is. If I can't find the correct replacement part I am considering replacing with some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is

10v-4500mAh. if anyone knows of a better newsgroup to ask about this, that would also be helpful. Thanks Mark
Reply to
Mark

Probably (thermal)

Can't read the part number - look for it on google first

I wouldn't. Assuming fairly modern battery it will need monitoring for temperature rise.

You could also try sci.electronics.repair (but have the part no. etc off the device first)

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Look on eBay for an old battery which only holds a few minutes of charge. Or tell us which laptop model it is and someone here may have one.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Well, it is a Klixon so a thermal cutout device, almost certainly. Where you would get a quantity of 1 from, I don't know. It is there to stop a fire if the battery overheats. You could short it out but don't blame me if it catches fire!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

It's Klixton 10v9K 4MM70B1 I have googled, and couldn't find anything apart from Klixton having discontinued this device.

Thanks I will try that if all else on here fails. Mark

Reply to
Mark

Looks like

it says auto reset.. could still be faulty though.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks that's useful but they don't seem to have a UK distributor

Reply to
Mark

George

Try posting to comp.systems.laptops - there are some very knowledeable people there who know all about batteries.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Reply to
Mark

Try these UK guys, they do klixon

phone numbers on the webpage

Reply to
Emil Tiades

Quick heads up - Those cells are Lithium... If the cutout has failed it may be for valid safety related reasons. Replace it by all means, but don't leave it unattended on charge for at least the first few sessions.

All other precautions handling lithium batteries and avoiding burns ... etc...

Reply to
Adrian C

Just replace it with a non resettable thermal fuse, plenty to choose from in RS, here's one:

Bovvered?

have been looking at

this

a thermal fuse be better in this application then a current operated one.

Reply to
Mark

> I have been looking at

> and this

You need both.. just put them in series.

Reply to
dennis

Hi Mark,

Need to know more about laptop batteries ? Welcome to our

We are a manufacturer representative and distributor of compatible batteries, especially of laptop batteries, camcorder batteries, digital camera batteries, power tools batteries, battery chargers and other accessories.

If you have any questions, pleaser feel free to contact us. Looking forward to your visiting. We are always please to service you.

Best regards,

Mark $B some sort of a wired fuse any thoughts on this welcome, battery is

Reply to
sales

It's probably a thermostat, the make - Klixon (clicks on!) is the clue here, there is normally a non- thermal fuse as well, which operates at a higher temperature, say 105deg.C incase the Klixon goes short circuit. I can't seem to find the website , they seem to be owned by Ti these days.

Reply to
Neil J. Harris

I did email both the US and Europe distributor, the device is discontinued

I have now replaced it with a thermal cut-out and a normal fuse, it now works fine.

Thanks for your and everyone else's help and suggestions.

Reply to
Mark

I?ve found it

message , Neil J. Harris writes