Lamp Switch

Bought a simple table lamp. It has a brass bayonet lamp holder with integral switch.

Put bulb in. Plug in. Switch on. Works.

Switch off. Change bulb. As replacement bulb is pushed into the lamp holder, it flashes on.

This is repeatable - if the prongs that contact the base of the bulb are pushed down, the lamp lights. When you have given the bulb the turn needed to engage the pins and leave go, it switches off.

Exactly the same happens whether the bulb is a standard filament or a CFL.

This seems very wrong to me. Anyone care to comment?

Reply to
Rod

Sounds like either a duff socket or the cable's not correctly fitted.

Have you taken the lampholder apart to see what's happening?

Of course, it may be the switch..

Whichever way, take it back and get it swapped - it's not your problem.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Hi If I read you right the lamp is switched on when you replace the lamp. If not the switch is faulty. If correct the pins that connect with the lamp are either sticking in their sleaves or the brass clip-ring (the part with the slots in for the lamp ) has rotated slightly due to being loose.

First UNPLUG the lamp, remove the lamp and any lamp shade . Now examine the 2 brass pins in the bottom of the lamp holder ,they are spring loaded and if pressed should retract into the base. If either does not problem found.

Next examine the lamp retaining ring you should find it is attached with a nurled brass ring to the holder.(hard to visualise but top 1/3 of fitting is retained with brass ring to base brass assembly containing slide switch.) If this ring is loose it allows the top lamp holder to rotate such that as you insert the lamp the contacts slide off the lamp terminals. If this is the case simply rotate the lamp retainer anticlockwise until it feels free then tighten the retaining ring.

Maybe someone on site knows of a link to a picture that might help.

HTH

CJ

Reply to
cj

The lamp is NOT switched on when replacing the bulb and yet it briefly lights as it is pushed downwards.

It seems to me that the minimum problem is that the switch is acting on the neutral (not live - sorry, phase).

The pins in the socket move easily and freely (vertically!) to touch the contacts on the bulb.

The contact pins are at 90 degrees to the position of the 'pins that stick out of the bulb'.

Yep - took it back and then started to think of what could be wrong to cause that problem. The more I thought, the less happy I was. Especially when the sales person started to say that it was normal and acceptable.

Thanks

Reply to
Rod

Well the sales person is talking bollocks .

Reply to
Stuart B

very true CW the lamp MUST be under waranty if bought new try mentioning trading standards. But get it replaced.

CJ

Reply to
cj