Laminate flooring.

I have been thinking of putting down some form of wood flooring in my entrance hall. (Not too thick as it has to match with carpeting in the rooms.)

I thought the best would be the type with about a 3mm real wood top layer.

I had a well-recommended carpet layer round to measure up for a carpet in an other room and we got talking.

He was very much against that sort of stuff (unstable, will change colour in places where the sun comes through the window...) and very strongly recommended one with an mdf backing and an artificial print on the top.

He showed me same samples and they were very realistic. He says he has been fitting them for 4 years without any problems. They come with a 20 year guarantee. I'm afraid I did not make a note of the make.

I would have thought that this sort of thing would be worn through in no time.

Any views on the subject welcome.

Reply to
Les Desser

The place we're buying has laminate flooring in one room and it's like walking on bubbled up lino. Admittedly this is probably in part down to the fitting, but the way I see it the material has to contribute.

We plan on taking it up & replacing with oak. I'd have thought that for a hallway, given that it's likely a relatively small area, solid wood would be the way to go. If it ages or shows the passage of time, well, that's what wood is supposed to do.

Just ask Edwood Woodwood ;-)

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

The place we're buying has laminate flooring in one room and it's like walking on bubbled up lino. Admittedly this is probably in part down to the fitting, but the way I see it the material has to contribute.

We plan on taking it up & replacing with oak. I'd have thought that for a hallway, given that it's likely a relatively small area, solid wood would be the way to go. If it ages or shows the passage of time, well, that's what wood is supposed to do.

Just ask Edwood Woodwood ;-)

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

As does anything, including most carpets, paint, wallpaper, curtains ... You wouldn't notice it, would you?

We have both - because we got the wood one cheap and the photo one free. I prefer the wood but it's not really important. In twenty years you're going to either move or be fed up of it.

The one we put down in the 1970s lasted until last year with not much wear. I imagine they're better these days.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes. Don't. Use proper wood of proper thickness and not this plastic rubbish.

Do you really want your floor to look like a Tom and Jerry cartoon with a perfect pattern repeat every metre?

The Titanic came with a 20yr guarantee.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Good man. Rip it out. Spawn of the devil.

Proper wood is always the way to go.

It's called patina. She's highly valued among the cognoscenti.

No need to over egg the pudding.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Agree, but it's still awfully clean, simple, cheap & practical for a busy family home. We're gradually converting, even though we don't like it aesthetically.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Only if you sent in the enclosed warranty postcard. The White Star Line found it in a kitchen drawer eventually, but it was too late by then of course.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've floored an office in bamboo strip (not laminate) if it's good enough for Aston Martin...

Reply to
Steve Firth

The problem with real wood is that it marks easily ... and in hallway will be subject to a lot of grit ... just consider that when making your mind up.

I am typing this sitting in my study - solid wood flooring, and it marks very easily ... the wood is full of grooves from castors on chair, anything dropped puts a dent or ding in the floor.

Upstairs I installed Quickstep laminate ... this is superb stuff, and much harder wearing than the genuine wood ... I have both and chose them for different reasons .. but without a doubt the high quality Laminate is much harder wearing.

Even in my sons rooms ... he has dumb bells, exercise machines etc. ... not a mark, not even a scuff mark ... had that been on the genuine wood it would have ruined it.

However I can only speak for Quickstep 800 .... other makes may not be as good performers.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

But who spends time looking at the floor?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed. You should see the mess under this wheeled office chair :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

True, that's why in my office we have these clear plastic mat jobbies. A quick google turned up this:

but I'm sure you could find them cheaper.

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

Well, in truth it's not all that important to me. You can't see much of the (small) floor space because of all the other junk on it. But others might find that useful!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Rick Hughes Fri, 8 Sep 2006 23:28:21 writes

All that sounds in line with what my fitter said.

While I take the points made by the other posters, I need something hard wearing for the hallway (leading from the street via a large mat) and it cannot be too thick as it has to go on top of the existing solid floor and match up reasonably well with carpets in the rooms.

Reply to
Les Desser

In article , Mary Fisher Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:42:33 writes

Sounds promising. I presume that was the artificial stuff?

Reply to
Les Desser

Yes.

It did have a cut where I dropped a French Cooks' knife point down in the early years but since it didn't cause a problem I didn't bother about it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:10:37 writes

Thanks - sounds like I can safely continue.

What I don't understand is the technology involved.

How come that a thin film of whatever material it is can ware so little?

Reply to
Les Desser

Because it's plastic.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Then I would not use solid wood.

In my build (not a carpet in the place) used tiles in hallway, kitchen, utility etc. (about 70% of gnd floor) and only put wood floor in lounge, study & dining room. I would have put tiles everywhere but SWMBO vetoed that.

Reply to
Rick Hughes