Labelmakers

Anyone recommend a decent label maker? Mostly for kitchen storage jars, key tags & wiring.

Are there any that print dishwasher proof labels? (Unlikely, I know).

Reply to
Huge

We use the Dymo ones at work- basic ones like

with the plastic tapes for labelling network kit, servers etc

and they're fine for that, but for cabling I much prefer

as they wrap round cables properly and don't get caught in things.

Doubt you'll get dishwasher prooof :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I have a brother stand alone one but it is a PITA to set up to choose the font size, one line or two, length of the blank ends etc etc and it loses the setting when run from a mains supply.

If I were buying again I'd be looking for a USB printer with software to do all the formatting on a pc/mac with the advantage of viewing the result on screen before hitting print.

hth

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes - I have a Dymo like that here, which has been fine, with a decent choice of cartridge colours. It does contain a re-chargeable internal battery which suggests it takes more current than USB can provide direct, though. And the software isn't the best I've known.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a Dymo labelmanager 350, not the most practical thing for carting around, but prints up to 1" high labels and USB driven so handy if you need a batch of sequential labels for cabling up half a rack.

I doubt it, the D1 'nylon' tapes are much better sticking than the 'standard' labels, they also do 'polyester' and 'durable' flavours, I've not used those but the most they say about them is that they are moisture proof and cope with -40 to +80 °C.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The *best* labels I've seen for cables are Brady A4 laser sheet P/N ELAT-19-316

Which have an opaque section for printing on, then a translucent adhesive section for wrapping round and over the top to protect them - I've never seen them in small quantities though, so best to find someone using them and ask to 'borrow' a sheet or two.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Those I've linked are a similar idea, but write-on.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

get some vinyl peel and stick label stock and a laser printer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use a Brother P-touch 1000 does all that I need Wide range of lable types / widths ...not sure if any are fully waterproof ... but never checked.

Reply to
rick

The brother M-tape ones are not bad since the label is laminated. However I expect it would de-laminate in dishwasher eventually.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry scratch that - I mean TZ-Tape not M (which is not as good)

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to use those when I was working, and they were great. There was accompanying software to set up printing a whole sheet, or more. If I were back in that game, I would try to find and use them again.

Reply to
Davey

Clear adhesive heat shrink sleeving over near anything can be good for cable marking - obviously when they are made up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These say waterproof, dishwasher and steriliser safe

Laser-printable label stock is available (in the US, so presumably here too, to the trade) but so far I haven't found a UK 'retail' supply

or Avery 41432 but again I can't find in the UK

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

'Eventually' hasn't happened yet, here. But it IS important to make sure that the surface to which the label will be applied, is perfectly smooth, clean, and grease-free. I put a Brother label on my mailbox, which was exposed to very harsh, salty and sandy gales off the North Atlantic - the label was in perfect condition when I disposed of the worn-out box.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes - that's the tape I use (see my reply to your post).

Reply to
S Viemeister

I agree with John Rumm - Brother TZ labels. Mine have survived the dishwasher.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Brother TZ tapes do seem to be very robust. There's one that has been on the bottom of plastic mug for many years and isn't showing any signs of distress, looks like it was put on just now. We don't have a dishwasher other than a sink full of hot water though.

Other labels have been directly on the copper flow and return pipes from the boiler so got pretty hot, again no degredation over about 10 years.

I have a stand alone label machine which, as someone has commented, isn't the most friendly of things to use. Buying today I'd want something with a computer connection and hopefully decent software to design labels down to pixel level in a WYSIWYG enviroment. PTP700 maybe?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, we have a Brother P-touch with TZ labels, & they routinely survive the dishwasher. (When loading the dishwasher, I make a point of picking old leftover labels off plastic containers but I leave the ones I expect to re-use.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Mine is a P Touch 350, which is ok, qwerty keyboard, has a memory and lets you compose multi line labels etc. No on screen idea of what the fonts will look like etc though

The obvious thing these days would be an app on a phone and a bluetooth or wifi connection to the printer.

Reply to
John Rumm